Hydraulics

/ Hydraulics #1  

Fornshell

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2240
I have a 2240, Replaced hydraulic fluid a couple months ago for loud metallic rattle, also filter and cleaned pre - screen. Screen was very dirty and fluid also. Noise is coming back. Could screen be clogged again

/ Hydraulics #2  
If you can take the screen out without losing much fluid, I'd check it. You can attach a vacuum cleaner to the hydraulic fluid filler port to create some negative pressure when you remove the screen, that will help minimize fluid loss.

What was collected in the screen? Was it metal or sludge like stuff? If it was metal, it's possible you've got a mechanical problem that's chewing something up. If there's more metal in the screen I would send a fluid sample into a lab for analysis, they can tell you what it is and that will give you a good idea where to look for the problem. I use Blackstone labs, but there's other places that do it.

/ Hydraulics
Ok thanks for the info the screen was full of thick grey sludge first time, with small pieces that looked like gasket material ,

/ Hydraulics #4  
Grey sludge on suction screen sounds as if moisture was present in trans case. If moisture was present did you add any biocide to hyd oil to kill possible algae growth? If not suction screen could be clogged again.

/ Hydraulics
No didn't add anything to the oil where do you get this at. Probably not able to take screen out without draining oil

/ Hydraulics #6  
If you place a plastic sack over hyd filler hole in order to create a vacuum & suction screen isn't stuck/severely clogged one could possibly remove screen without needing to drain hyd oil.

/ Hydraulics
If you place a plastic sack over hyd filler hole in order to create a vacuum & suction screen isn't stuck/severely clogged one could possibly remove screen without needing to drain hyd oil.
Ok thanks Jim

/ Hydraulics
Took the hydraulic screen out this morning. Grey sludge on screen again. Do you know what small reddish pieces of material on screen are. Lost maybe a half a quart taking screen out.

/ Hydraulics #9  
Reddish debris could be clutch or brake linings. Can you post a photo of reddish pieces? It's been many yrs since I was employed at JD supervising JD tractor repairs & looked at debris in hyd oil reservoir.

Does your tractor have options of hyd pto or hyd hi-lo/reverser? If not then I'd guess brake lining.

/ Hydraulics
It has hydraulic pto