Hydraulics, Return Filters and Coolers?

/ Hydraulics, Return Filters and Coolers? #1  

Ehanson

Silver Member
Tractor
S373-D
Hi, having just a pump driven on front crankshaft for the FEL & Attachments, I was wondering how many have taken the time to add a Filter to the return to keep oil clean.
Also thinking about adding a Hyd Oil Cooler to the return as well, I measured the temp on oil when using a motorized implement and it seemed to rise fairly quick.
Any one do this?

/ Hydraulics, Return Filters and Coolers? #2  
I haven't done it to any of our tractors, but I also haven't run any attachments to to the aux hydraulics yet. Certainly a filter and probably a cooler are on my "to do" list of things to do before running unknown oil into any of my tractors' systems. Particularly for the HST Kubota M59.

The JD 310SG was bought used with high hours has likely already seen every type of oil out there. It runs perfectly, and I haven't looked into why. For all I know, filters and coolers for the aux. lines are standard on JD's yellow commercial machines.

So put me down as someone who is concerned and would like to learn more about what is out there, but I haven't looked into it at all. Be curious to hear from others who have.
rScotty

/ Hydraulics, Return Filters and Coolers? #3  
Filters & coolers are inexpensive vs pumps. Problem is usually sizing and mounting the cooler since it is hard to figure air flow on the existing cooling fan.

Any type of flow restriction in a motor circuit will also add heat to the system.

/ Hydraulics, Return Filters and Coolers?
Good point oldnslo, the flow restriction comes when mixing 1,000 Lbs or more of concrete on a hot day. So I am thinking adding more reservoir volume, plus a cooler I took out of a wreck at the junk yard, but yes adding in front of a radiator could create more heat into engine, creating problems. I would like to have a thermostatic cooler bypass (for cold oil), but that adds even more complexity.
Maybe I will just plumb in a filter, that will add volume, and filtration.

/ Hydraulics, Return Filters and Coolers? #5  
Increasing reservoir size will accomplish oil cooling results similar to installing an actual cooler. Several yrs back I utilized a pto hyd pump on Vermeer R23 hyd rake so I could tow rake with a smaller tractor. I utilized the tubing tongue as an oil reservoir for several yrs with no problems. IIRC the tongue held 20 gal of oil.