Toplink Hydraulic Top Link

/ Hydraulic Top Link #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
For those that have a hydraulic top link, does the control valve result in a "position" or just merely move the piston in and out?

Also, does the piston stay put once moved to a particular spot or can it move in or out based on the load on it?

/ Hydraulic Top Link #2  
I don't have "position control" on the Top 'N Tilt, the levers just move the piston and stop when you let go or center the lever. And I figure it ought to stay where you put it unless you have an external leak (which you'd see), a leaky seal in the cylinder, or an internal leak in the valve. In other words, mine stays put.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #3  
My top link works as Bird described. I did have some problems with the link compressing under load when first installed, but it turned out there were some leaks in the fittings, and a bad seal in the cylinder. Once these were fixed, it stays pretty solid.

Before the fix, I found it's [censored] tough to use a box blade well when the angle keeps changing on you!!

/ Hydraulic Top Link #4  
Mine works like Bird's and John's. However, if I move to a "position", and it's not under load, it will sometimes move when it does go under load. Once loaded, it stays put.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #5  
Has anyone used the rear hydraulic ports that are found on some of the JD 4200+ tractors to control the belly mower deck cylinder from the 3rd SCV? It would seem that raising the deck with the manual deck adjustment (or removing the deck) would leave the two rear hydraulic ports available to control a hydraulic top link with little expense involved. Am I missing something here? Mike S.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #6  
Duane, if you start with a new hydraulic cylinder, you should have no trouble with leaks except for the remote valve (or SCV valve as some call it). I've heard of leaky remote valves causing position changes, but mine is solid as a rock.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #7  
I got the 3rd vavle for the MMM, just for that reason. I use a 3 point mower.