Hydraulic top link restrictor?

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #1  

geblackwell

Bronze Member
Tractor
nh tc40da
I have a NH TC40DA and want to install a hydraulic top link from Carter and Carter Machinery. Will I have to put a flow restrictor in line like I did for my grapple?

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #2  
geblackwell said:
I have a NH TC40DA and want to install a hydraulic top link from Carter and Carter Machinery. Will I have to put a flow restrictor in line like I did for my grapple?

Where did you get the restrictor ? . I have been looking and have not found one, Installed 1/4 hoses ,did not help much. top cyl and thumb on the bucket
oh yeah I think you will need a restrictor

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor?
6sunset6 said:
Where did you get the restrictor ? . I have been looking and have not found one, Installed 1/4 hoses ,did not help much. top cyl and thumb on the bucket
oh yeah I think you will need a restrictor

The one I used is adjustable and came from Surplus Center

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #4  
geblackwell said:
The one I used is adjustable and came from Surplus Center

I found my fixed 0.030" flow restrictor fittings at my New Holland dealer. If you ask at the parts desk or the shop manager, they might be able to steer you in the right direction. Mine just look like an inline adapter and the last one I bought was $4.95. The adjustable kind give you a lot more control, but they are much more expensive and lots larger too.

Mark Carter warned me that the orifice will send out a jet of fluid when in operation. That jet can eventually cut the inside of the hose. I think this would take a lot more use than our toplinks, but he suggested a right angle adapter after the inline restrictor so the jet hits metal instead of the inside surface of the hose.

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #6  
jinman said:
Mark Carter warned me that the orifice will send out a jet of fluid when in operation. That jet can eventually cut the inside of the hose. I think this would take a lot more use than our toplinks, but he suggested a right angle adapter after the inline restrictor so the jet hits metal instead of the inside surface of the hose.

This will absolutely not happen. I have seen small prifice flow restrictors in use on machines for well over 10,000 hours with no problems. And this is the plastic Synflex hose, not the wire braided type. If you shot that small stream at something, yes, over time it would cut it. Place that flow in a vat of oil (which is what's inside a hose) and there are no ill effects.

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #7  
Farm stores such as TSC have fixed restrictors in 3/8 and 1/2 NPT sizes. Hydraulic shops will have them. About $3-5. One restrictor is enough per cylinder. If the flow is too restrictive, you can drill the hole slightly larger but only enlarge very little at a time. I would see how fast the cylinder moves before trying the restrictor. Most CUT have hydraulic flows that are not very fast. My JD 3720 and prior kubota 3710 have no issues with TNT being to fast.

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #8  
Just curious if the flow restrictors cause any fluid heating issues...?? Or is that not a big deal in this type of application?

~Paul

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #9  
Diesel-ME said:
Just curious if the flow restrictors cause any fluid heating issues...?? Or is that not a big deal in this type of application?

~Paul

Not in this application, unless the toplink is cycled continuously. But you are correct, they could cause fluid to heat up.

/ Hydraulic top link restrictor? #10  
kennyd said:
Not in this application, unless the toplink is cycled continuously. But you are correct, they could cause fluid to heat up.

Thanks Kenny.

(not to hijack the thread or anything :) ... I run lines from my rear remote to my loader-mounted snow plow. It's a double-acting cylinder to do the angle. I'd like to slow it's action down - would the same type of restricter be good for that? It's not like I'm constantly angling the plow.

Oh, and would just one restrictor be OK in that case?

~paul