Hydraulic Sickle Mower for Skid Steer/Gehl Power Beyond

/ Hydraulic Sickle Mower for Skid Steer/Gehl Power Beyond #1  

r8f1k

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 100, Allis Chalmers D14, International Super MTA, IH 560, Mahindra 4510, Gehl 4500, Clark CY45, JD 800, JD 60
I have an early 80's Gehl 4500 skid steer, 4 cylinder Ford gasoline. I would like to add a Sabre Samurai Sickle mower attachment to the front bucket.

SABRE SAMURAI CUTTER | Cutthat.com - Home Of Sabre Samurai & Sabre Divider

I have no remotes on the skid steer and I have no idea where to start in adding them. I have some hydraulic experience, but not enough to know exactly what to do here. I assume that I will need to find pressure and return somewhere in the skid steer. I will need a spool valve, but no idea what kind. I will need hoses, connectors, etc. Has anyone done anything like this? Any photos, diagrams, info would be great!! Does anyone know how to plumb a Gehl 4500 for power beyond?

/ Hydraulic Sickle Mower for Skid Steer/Gehl Power Beyond
I have that parts manual, however, it does not indicate where it is getting the pressure for that remote hook up from. Thoughts?

/ Hydraulic Sickle Mower for Skid Steer/Gehl Power Beyond #4  
R8,
I marked up a couple of pages from the parts manual. This is my best guess based on these documents but 99% sure that you will need to purchase a power beyond adapter sleeve for the existing loader control valve. This power beyond would then supply your aux hydraulics valve.

Attachments

• 4500 pwr byd plug.pdf
    128 KB · Views: 89
  • 4500 pwr byd.pdf
    104.7 KB · Views: 82
What is and where can one acquire an adapter sleeve?

Ok, I think I am getting it.

Based on your second file 4500 pwr byd.pdf, there is a hose labeled No. 29, is that the return hose?
I also assume that the sleeve fits into a location that currently has a plug of some kind?

/ Hydraulic Sickle Mower for Skid Steer/Gehl Power Beyond #7  
R8,
My suggestion is to look at the existing loader control valve and see if you can identify the conversion plug location shown in the power beyond plug document. If that plug is still in the valve then I believe you would have to purchase 051393 power beyond sleeve assembly from Gehl.

Currently are there six or seven connections to the existing loader valve? I am asking about actual connections and not teed assemblies on a port.

Going to have to dig into it a little more to find that out. I will find what exactly I have and post.

/ Hydraulic Sickle Mower for Skid Steer/Gehl Power Beyond #9  
Curious what you will cut with the Samuiri. (sp?) Ten minutes of trials on tree branches the size of which were supposed to be in spec left me with a lot of broken teeth.

After an hour of cutting cedar branches, it won't cut a blade of grass! I also can't tighten the set screws tight enough to keep from having them back off and loose the whole shebang!

I plan on pruning 1400 apple trees with it. More or less to keep the height down and the aisles open. Thoughts on a better brand?