Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Travis, I thought you and Ted may be interested in this variant design by Modern Ag Products. Instead of rotating the scarifiers, Modern pulls them straight up. The scarifiers are pulled straight up. In the following two photos you can see how each scarifier is held in a captured slot.

BTW, don't make your scarifiers too strong as you want them to break before bending or breaking anything else in order to be a sacrificial part in order to save the box scraper frame as well as the three point on the tractor itself.

411195d1423760247-hydraulic-scarifiers-various-designs-screen-shot-2015-02-12-a

411190d1423759486-hydraulic-scarifiers-various-designs-s-d-hyd-boxes-3-a

411191d1423759515-hydraulic-scarifiers-various-designs-s-d-hyd-boxes-jpg

Attachments

• S&D HYD BOXES 3.jpg
    S&D HYD BOXES 3.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 1,886
  • S&D HYD BOXES.jpg
    S&D HYD BOXES.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 1,851
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 10.55.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 10.55.59 AM.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 3,821
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #3  
One thing I don't like about that design is that when the rippers are down, the hydraulic cylinder is extended. That means the forces that the ground is placing on the rippers (constantly trying to push them up) is being exerted on the fully extended cylinder.

The Gannon/Woods design, on the other hand, has the cylinder fully closed when the rippers are down. I don't have any data (or even the technical knowledge) to prove it, but the Gannon/Woods design just seems to be less stressful on the hydraulic cylinder than the Modern Ag design.

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #4  
Gannon also utilizes a 4 bar linkage to its advantage once its down and locked in place its not going anywhere and puts very little load into the cylinder.

Although looking at how this design operates there should not be substantial vertical load going onto the cylinder if anything i would suspect the cylinder would be in tension under when the scarfiers are down as the they are angled to pull into the dirt rather than push up and float.

I wonder with this design when your not using them they are they prone to clogging or getting in the way? On my gannon they are completely out if the way when retracted. This is a question as ive never used this style?

ForumRunner_20150212_212654.jpg

IMG_20150212_212538.jpg

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #5  
I'm not sure about that long piece of flat strap holding the end of the cylinder. Seems like there would be a better and more secure way of mounting the cylinder. I'm sure it works just fine but it could be improved upon IMO.

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #6  
There is a reason that the Gannon's have not really changed for decades and are used on about every commercial machine that makes use of a box blade. There are some copycats, but at the end of the day, Gannon is still the unit to have.

Just my :2cents:, well and a few thousand others as well, well more than that, but you get my point. ;)

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs
Gannon also utilizes a 4 bar linkage to its advantage once its down and locked in place its not going anywhere and puts very little load into the cylinder.

Although looking at how this design operates there should not be substantial vertical load going onto the cylinder if anything i would suspect the cylinder would be in tension under when the scarfiers are down as the they are angled to pull into the dirt rather than push up and float.

I wonder with this design when your not using them they are they prone to clogging or getting in the way? On my gannon they are completely out if the way when retracted. This is a question as ive never used this style?

View attachment 411268

View attachment 411269

I'm told that Ted likes the FFC design, but I've never seen an FFC industrial box scrapper with hydraulic scarifiers. To my eye, the Gannon design is the best as it leaves the box wide open. EA extended the box fore and aft length on their newest design to help keep from clogging.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #8  
Eric the FFC design looks pretty similar to gannon just beefed up with extra gussets and reinforcements on the tower. I'm pretty sure I'd either rip the 3pt off my M8540 or fold up a stabalizer before i bent my 88HSD. Gannon is suitable on a 20,000 lb skip loaders. The FFC 240 is about 1550 lbs or 250lbs heavier than the 88" gannon

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs
Eric the FFC design looks pretty similar to gannon just beefed up with extra gussets and reinforcements on the tower. I'm pretty sure I'd either rip the 3pt off my M8540 or fold up a stabalizer before i bent my 88HSD. Gannon is suitable on a 20,000 lb skip loaders. The FFC 240 is about 1550 lbs or 250lbs heavier than the 88" gannon

That starts to sound like it is too heavy for my wee, little tractor.

Anybody know how Cammond works their hydraulic scarifiers?

Cammond Blades-Scrapers | Edney Dealers

Tuffline looks like a Gannon knockoff for less money.

Tufline TB40 Tractor Hydraulic Box Blade - McGee Farm Equipment, Inc.

But I do like how Gannon has replaceable corners on some of their box blades. In fact, the clapped out Gannons I've found used are all because they wore the side plates down to the point where the box became nearly useless.

/ Hydraulic scarifiers: various designs #10  
That starts to sound like it is too heavy for my wee, little tractor.

Anybody know how Cammond works their hydraulic scarifiers?

Cammond Blades-Scrapers | Edney Dealers

Tuffline looks like a Gannon knockoff for less money.

Tufline TB40 Tractor Hydraulic Box Blade - McGee Farm Equipment, Inc.

But I do like how Gannon has replaceable corners on some of their box blades. In fact, the clapped out Gannons I've found used are all because they wore the side plates down to the point where the box became nearly useless.

Eric,
If you can find a good Gannon with the side plates worn down it would be easy to build them up. Don't need much more than a torch and cracker box welder to make this repair. It helps to splice the new metal on in a curved line as it will help with keeping the plate straight. Grind and smooth, repaint and you have a new box blade for cheap.