Hydraulic reservoir venting?

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
Okay have a woodsplitter bought from TSC store a few years ago (5 hp gas 10 ton ) use it two or three times a year.

It has the hydraulic reservoir integral in the steel beam directly below where the splitting action occurs.
Like normal it has a clear one inch hydraulic line from the tank to the motor pump/spool valve and a return line back down to the tank. It also has a roughly 8 inch long curved pipe that goes up above the level of the tank and it seems to have a small pin hole at the top like a vent for the reservoir.

Now thru the years I have learned that you cannot store this log splitter on anything other than nice level place where the reservoir and beam are very level. if you deviate a few degrees , then when you come back to the splitter a month later you will find a oil spill of maybe a quart. I assume this is coming out of the vent.
The only way to refill is to unclamp the return line and fill it thru that line held high with funnel.

Now my question is , is that 8 inch curved pipe ( one inch diameter ) that is threaded into tank and then extends above highest point ...........is it a vent and is it supposed to have a pinhole near top . It is like they welded the pipe shut but left a space. But maybe the pinhole is a mistake and then I can figure a way to weld it closed? So it won't leak when not level. thoughts????

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #2  
Yes more than likely the curved pipe you referred to is the vent(breather). Hyd oil needs expansion room for heating.

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #3  
When you fill the reservoir you should be leaving at least an inch of air space at the top to allow for expansion/contraction.

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting?
Okay but do you think this pipe should have a hole to let fluid out ...or should it just be a sealed pipe that is half empty (the part above the reservoir that the fluid can expand into without bleeding out)
I don't fill it anymore than what can fit in the clear hose that I disconnect to fill , . And with hose clear I can easily see when I have filled .

Do others with hydraulic woodsplitters have the vents be able to bleed out fluid thru a permanent hole or is what I call the vent pipe really just a expansion chamber that I should seal up the hole and just be careful not to overfill the reservoir?

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #5  
There has to be a vent to outside air or you couldn't move the piston in and out. It takes more oil to extend the piston than to contract it. The extra oil from that operation goes into the reservoir which must have someplace for the displaced air to go. Thus the need for a vent to the outside. As Oliver 665 said, you have to leave space in the reservoir or it will overflow.

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #6  
Sorry should have typed Oliver 1665.

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #7  
how bout 1655
signed. Freddy fumble fingers

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting?
Okay thanks everyone .I will leave the vent alone , but I will store the woodsplitter with the cyclinder fully extended .

/ Hydraulic reservoir venting? #9  
better to store cylinders fully retracted, to keep the rod from rusting, even very mild surface rust will destroy the cylinder seals.
i would simple extend the vent pipe higher if your worried about spills, or keep the resevoir at a lower level if you have plenty of volume..