Hydraulic Reservoir Cap

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #1  

duane

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 266H and PT422
It looks like the new PTs come with a filtered hydraulic cap on the reservoir. Good idea. My PT along with the one year and older PTs have just a vented cap. Our caps are not threaded, just a two tang half turn type. I have not seen any two tang type filtered caps, just threaded ones. Has anyone seen a source for filtered caps of the two tang type. I don't really want to cut off and re-weld on a threaded conn.

Duane

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap
I quess no tips on this one. One of the biggest sources for contamination of the hydraulic oil is through the un-filtered breather cap (water vapor, dust etc). Am I correct in assuming the new PTs have a filtered hydraulic reservoir cap. Does it screw on with threads or have the 1/4 turn tabs. Any names or numbers on the new reservoir caps would help.

thanks
Duane

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #3  
Duane, I didn't respond earlier since you mentioned you didn't want to do any machining. Here's what I did to add a filtered cap to my 1845 if it's of any interest to you.

Sedgewood

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #4  
I have a 425 and replaced the orginal hydraulic cap with the plastic Parker cap. I used small bolts and nuts to install it. I didn't notice the long rear seat bolts until I heard plastic breaking. The Parker cap was lower than the seat but not lower than the seat bolts. I reversed the seat bolts and thought about replacing the Parker cap. I didn't like the idea of small nuts and bolts possibly coming lose in the hydraulic oil tank. So, I purchased the power-track cap that welds onto the cover, after widening the hole, and I raised the seat by enlarging the seat stop bolts and installing a 3/4 bolt. Education doesn't always happen in school and it is never cheap. I wish I had changed it out earlier. I have no oil around the tank cover.

Dale

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #5  
I do have the screw on plastic resivor cap. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the initial threads are a little "screwed" up. I think that it actually came to me that way from Tarzwell. I have to be carefull starting the thread to keep it from cross threading. I'll get a new cap eventually.

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to the hydraulic store to see if they can find a filtered cap to fit. If not, when I change the hydraulic oil, I will machine in the NPT fitting.

Duane

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #7  
What does PT charge for the weld-on cap?

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #8  
I believe I paid PT $49 for their plastic cap with the metal flange and shipping and another $10 to have it machined to size and welded into place. The Parker cap was around $15 from MSC but they don't tell you they have a $25 minimum order so it cost me $25. I should have ordered two.

DHS

/ Hydraulic Reservoir Cap #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do have the screw on plastic resivor cap. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the initial threads are a little "screwed" up. I think that it actually came to me that way from Tarzwell. )</font>
DML,
Same thing with my 425 bought on 5/7/04. The cap doesn't start easily and you have to be very careful not to crossthread it. Mine came the same way from Tazewell. We should call PT Parts and have them send us new ones.