Hydraulic pumps or rams usage

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I am building a cultipacker with lift wheels like ones on a pull type (offset) disc. I don't want to use a hydraulic cylinder from my rear remotes, as I want this to be independent of the tractor. So I have thought about a ratchet jack or a manual hydraulic ram or a portapower pump to drive a cylinder. I expect to need about 8" of travel to lift approximately 1200 lbs. I wonder if the portapower pumps can drive a cylinder. It only has to extend as the weight of the implement could lower it. I would like it to be fairly quick so I could lift it with a reasonable effort and time span. I also wonder if there is a 12v way to do this. Please explain to me the ways a manual pump or ram could do this. The only rams I see are big ones like the ones on a shop hoist. Do they make smaller ones with less travel and length?

The wheel assembly I plan to use came off an old allis charmers planter and had two wheels each driven by a separate tie rod cylinder. I figure if I operate this manually, I will have to connect the two assemblies so they can lift in unison, since I doubt any manual pump can drive two cylinders (or even one??). It would be a no brainier if I could use a rear remote, but I really want to be able to pull this packer with a vehicle

Any ideas would be appreciated!

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage #2  
Eight inches and 1200 pounds could be done with a small bottle jack.

Bruce

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage #3  
They make a rachet type replacement for tie rod cylinders. I have em on the depth guage wheel for my v-ripper.

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage #4  
enerpac makes a p142 lightweight two-speed pump that would work perfect for that job. yes it will drive that cylinder as a single acting cylinder which would be what you'd need. there are other mfg. of these pumps also. have a gauge installed you really wont need to worry about pressure unless you deadhead it. but you never know things do bind sometimes

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage #5  
they also make rams and end adapters if you haven't already picked something. or you may have an old ram which you can get ends for or make them. a small tie rod, or welded cylinder would probably be easier and cheaper though

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage
enerpac makes a p142 lightweight two-speed pump that would work perfect for that job. yes it will drive that cylinder as a single acting cylinder which would be what you'd need. there are other mfg. of these pumps also. have a gauge installed you really wont need to worry about pressure unless you deadhead it. but you never know things do bind sometimes

That Enerpac looks like it has potential. So if I understand it, I could use it to drive a single action cylinder to press the wheels down, and then release a valve on the pump to let it sink back down? Is that right? What size cylinder would you recommend? About an 3" x 8" or 10"?

Could it drive two cylinders simultaneously using some type of splitter in the hydraulic line? One for each wheel? Or should I just connect the wheel assemblies and have one cylinder do both?

I did not understand about your second comment about a ram.

/ Hydraulic pumps or rams usage #7  
yes that is right. it can also drive two cylinders at once, just remember to order the one with the large tank. a p392 might be the one to go with in that scenario it pumps 3x the fluid per stroke as the 142. our cultipacker uses a 3" single cylinder about a 10 inch stroke. remember you can over pressure these cylinders with these pumps so make sure you use a gauge. i suggested the rams because they are small bore,(less oil to move)and easily adaptable. you wouldn't have to worry about what size because just one of the lower rated ones would lift anything you got there. since you're fabbing you could custom make the bolt on or screw in end adapters to attach to your frame. or use factory ones that are in their online catalogue.