Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass?

/ Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
If you have the choice, which do you prefer and why?

/ Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #2  
Most I've see have a brass fitting and internals, with a stainless case. So, yes LOL

/ Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #3  
   / Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #4  
I'm not sure you can get a brass gage rated at 3000# but maybe you can. Most of the pressure gages I have dealt with in the power plant business are either steel body or SS body because of the pressure rating. I use good quality, liquid filled gages usually stainless steel.

/ Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #5  
   / Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass?
I had ordered two. Though I forget the ranges, I think one was 60 PSI and the other was 300 psi.

I think the others that I have are stainless....I saw the brass option.... ended up clicking on the brass units. They arrived and I was looking at the one currently on my desk and I'm thinking, it must be chromed brass?? Because it doesn't look like any brass I've seen....then turned it over. Looks like the chassis itself is brass and it has a chrome (stainless?) "outer shell"....much like a bezel that encapsulates it on all sides but the rear.

I had never thought about them being available in different materials. So now I have a blend of them. I was wondering (after having made the purchase) if there was a benefit to one over the other.

/ Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #7  
Why does it matter... Buy gauge that will work in pressure range you want and move on.....

Dale

/ Hydraulic pressure gauges stainless or brass? #8  
Well I never considered stainless. Brass, liquid filled to dampen meter movement and prolong life....for pulsating circuits.....is my choice. The case is glass and steel but the movement and all areas where fluid is contacted is Brass. If the scale says 0-5k then the guts are good for 5k PSI plus a safety factor. I use them, as stated for about $25-30 including shipping for monitoring tractor hydraulic pressure when the need occurs and have one permanently installed on my round baler to monitor the 3k PSI belt pressure on the roll to ensure i am getting tight bales.