Hydraulic motor on rear blade

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #1  

TractorBluez

Tractor
Ford 8N Ford 861 Ford 4000 Ford 5000
Has anyone tried setting up a rear blade with a hydraulic motor for 360-degree rotation? Or does this fall into the "dumb idea" category.

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #2  
Might work but you need a way to lock the blade..

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #3  
Think of the forces if you snag a corner!

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #4  
would potentially work with motor that is large enough to with stand torque demands or like Peter states some mechanical lock or brake to hold position.

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #5  
That’s exactly how the blade on an actual road grader rotates. The downside is the cost to build something like that would be substantial.

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #6  
Has anyone tried setting up a rear blade with a hydraulic motor for 360-degree rotation? Or does this fall into the "dumb idea" category.
It’s possible

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #7  
You would have to build it like a turn table on a track hoe. Which is probably like a motor grader is made.

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade
Thank you for your comments everyone. I had a feeling the forces on the hydraulic motor could be an issue. D & D, I hope your project turns out well after all the thought you've put into it. Like you, I'm tired of getting on/off the tractor to adjust the blade. Would be really nice to adjust it in each direction and angle from the tractor seat when snowplowing driveways.

/ Hydraulic motor on rear blade #9  
How often do you need 360° rotation? Are you switching between pushing and pulling a lot?

90° rotation (+45°, -45°) would be easy enough with hydraulic cylinders. Then a pin would allow you to reverse it, but that would require leaving the seat.

There are probably a few ways to achieve the 360° rotation. Perhaps a large rotating table plus a large ring and pinion gear.

I'm not sure what would be able to donate a ring and pinion. A typical starter motor ring and pinion likely wouldn't be sturdy enough. Are there drive gears for a small dozer?

Perhaps head to a tractor recycler and see what strikes your fancy. Good heavy duty hub + the ring and pinion.

I like the idea of looking for a scrap small grader, or scrap mini excavator.