Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me?

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I recently purchased a JD 5100e with just under 500hrs on it. Purchased from THE major dealer in the area, not that it means anything, but not some 2 tractor place by the road. I've put around 100hrs on it over the last couple months and in that time, I've added around 18gal of hydro/trans fluid.

Now... I know... you are all wondering how this could happen... well let me tell you.

First, I had the dealership put on a 3rd function valve for a grapple. This is 'genuine JD' and installed by the dealer.

Then I purchased a grapple and a post/tree puller.
Then I went to work.

Short version:
1. Connector leak at hydraulic hose connection from 3rd function on FEL to tractor. (Loose/O-ring - new O-ring and tightened = no leak)
2. Connector on grapple, hose to cylinder. (Loose - tightened = no leak)
3. Connector pump/tractor main hydraulics connection on tractor to FEL tractor side connection. (Loose - tightened = no leak.)

Long version:
1st - leak I noticed was at the hydraulic connection between the tractor and the FEL. The male connector became loose, and my first site of it was in the field grappling away, when all of the sudden, I noticed spraying fluid out of the connectors. All I can say is I'm glad I was able to see it through the window, because I was in 'beast mode' and zoned into work. Turns out, it was simply loose, but after tightening, it continued to leak, so I pulled it apart and the O-ring was torn. Had to drive 20miles for a $0.50 piece of rubber. (*I bought several, to prevent ever needing one again.*) I checked the fluid site glass and it was showing a fluid level visible in the bottom window. I ended up adding 3 gal to get the level into the top window. (I really didn't think I had lost that much from that leak... more on that later.)

2nd - leak was on my Grapple itself. Once again, I am 'in the zone' and all of the sudden, the left cylinder on my grapple begins looking dirtier than the right. These cylinders are covered, so it took a bit before I noticed anything amiss. Before I took the cover off, I opened and closed the grapple a few times, now noting an actual 'running of the fluid' which worsened with each open/close cycle. "Ugghhh... WTF..." went through my mind a few times. (My major limitation is time... and when I'm down for repairs... well, you know the drill.) Took the cover off and wiggled connections, and low and behold, just a loose connector. Tightened it up, and away I went! But, this got me thinking about hydraulic connections in general, as I had 2 on 'NEW' equipment, become loose. 2gal

3rd - was working away one day and noticed 'perhaps maybe' that my hydraulic speed was slower than usual. However, it was dark, and I just parked for the day. Checked fluid the next morning, and I didn't have ANY showing. Now, my hydraulics weren't THAT sluggish, just seemed a bit slower, but I'd been working since dawn, so I just passed it off as my own tiredness. I looked over the entire tractor as well as under it, and could find no leaks. Obviously there was one, but I couldn't find it.

I scheduled to take it into the shop (warranty til 3/17). But didn't want to lose the time. Bought 15gal Hy-$$$$ with a 11gal capacity according to specs. It took just under 10 to get it into the top glass. I HAD to use it to pull my new dirt pan and blade off my trailer, before I could load the tractor and take it in. As I sat there, pulling them off, I had the tractor running and sitting on a bare dirt spot. And BANG... there it was, a small drip. This, as it turns out, was coming from the main hydraulic connection just in front of the pump. Going to my 3rd function valve connection on the tractor. Once again, it was just a loose connector. I tightened it, checked oil, needed to add 2 gal or so. But nothing since, although I haven't been back to use it in 2 weeks.

My suspicion is that the 3rd leak was always leaking, but at a slow enough rate that I didn't notice it until the other leaks showed up. I attributed the lower fluid to the 'new leaks' and simply filled back up. The 3rd leak finally became the only leak, and bad enough to really be noticed.

So, my question is... do you all have this many issues with leaks? I've had the same 'loose connector' issue 3 different times in 3 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT locations and from 2 different vendors/companies. Is this par for the course or are Gremlins with wrenches screwing with me?

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #2  
Have not had any issues on either kubota (newer) that I have owned with fittings and such. Have blown a curl hose or two, doing things I shouldnt be doing.

Backhoe is another story. It drips about everywhere. But adding oil is way cheaper than chasing down every drip.

I am a little confused about your story though. Regarding the third leak. You say you noted hydraulics getting a little sluggish, and parked it for the night. Came back next day and had to add 10 gal :eek: in a 11 gal system.

A leak bad enough to loose 10 gallons in a day is a BAD leak. HArd to believe you wouldnt notice that, or even smell it. When my old farm hoe is warmed up, it has some pretty good leaks, that are clearly visible, and leave pretty good marks in the dirt if it sits in the same spot for a minute or two. And even then....2-3 gallons over a 8 hour day is about it. And you are talking about a SINGLE leak (not multiple leaks like my hoe has), that lost 3x's the fluid in a single day??

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me?
I was in a cab. And I'm not sure they were sluggish, it just seemed as though they weren't 100%. It was late and dark when I noticed.

I can't explain, quite honestly. It's a relatively new tractor.

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #4  
Where were you working? 10 gallons of oil on the ground should be quite apparent

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #5  
Sometimes isn't right. Anything with a hydraulic system is probably going to leak, but not nearly that much. You should have noticed 10 gallons of oil on the ground. When the front axel drive shaft seal failed on my tractor I only lost about a gallon, but it was very obvious. I've had some hoses come loose, but I loose like a quart when that happens.

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #6  
So far so good with 85 hours on the machine, bought new.

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #7  
Over 400 hours on my JD and it hasn't leaked from anywhere. The only stains on the floor of the shed are from wee spills from me changing fluids.

<TOUCH WOOD>

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #8  
3years and not a weep front, back or in the middle .

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #9  
In 34 years I've owned two tractors. Originally a Ford 1700 4WD and now Kubota M6040 4WD. Over that time I've lost nary a drop of fluid due to any leak, anywhere.

Knock on wood............

/ Hydraulic leaks... are they as common for you as for me? #10  
I forgot to mention that my old Ferguson tractor leaked around the hydro cyl seals, but it was over 50 years old before it started that, never a hose or connector leak. The Kelley backhoe which was about 25 years old, blew a swing cyl hose, and I broke a hose on the dipper arm. But other than age and abuse, nothing has ever leaked.