Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers

/ Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers #1  

eddieirvine

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3940
I have a Kubota L3940 and have a small hyd leak where the quick couplers connect from the loader to the tractor, still working on it. thought it was the threaded part that comes off the frame and that has male and female fittings that you connect up to the loader. also think it is leaking on the quick connect fittings. Is there anything for me to look for? i did clean off connections and will do that again today. is it a good idea to make sure the small detents that you can push on in the center of male fitting to make sure nothing is causing them to leak, like particles or dirt? I am not sure the best way to clean these? I thought maybe today push in on them with a dowel rod an give it a shot of air? the female ones with the small ball bearings in it also. If any have had problems in this are let me know a fix. Thanks. Eddie Forgot to mention this is a drip drip leak not a lot! Also add i have been putting teflon tape on, This morning to make sure i cleaned the threads good and re applied the teflon tape see how that goes later today

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers #2  
on my John Deere I had to replace the O-ring inside the female section

/ Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers
no o rings in mine

/ Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers #4  

/ Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers
I have a Kubota L3940 and have a small hyd leak where the quick couplers connect from the loader to the tractor, still working on it. thought it was the threaded part that comes off the frame and that has male and female fittings that you connect up to the loader. also think it is leaking on the quick connect fittings. Is there anything for me to look for? i did clean off connections and will do that again today. is it a good idea to make sure the small detents that you can push on in the center of male fitting to make sure nothing is causing them to leak, like particles or dirt? I am not sure the best way to clean these? I thought maybe today push in on them with a dowel rod an give it a shot of air? the female ones with the small ball bearings in it also. If any have had problems in this are let me know a fix. Thanks. Eddie Forgot to mention this is a drip drip leak not a lot! Also add i have been putting teflon tape on, This morning to make sure i cleaned the threads good and re applied the teflon tape see how that goes later today
Today i found out the upper quick connectors where leaking down on the lower ones making it look like the lowers two were leaking, What i did was disconnect the two upper quick couplers cleaned them off made sure there was noting like dirt or anything else in there put them back on and ran it seen a drip or two after running the bucket up and down and tilt, had another drip and just for the hell of it turned the coupling that has the bearing balls in it around back and forth with my hand and i am not sure it is fixed but did not see any more drips while i was in the shop.Will check on it later.

/ Hydraulic leak on quick dissconnect couplers #8  
For what it's worth...I've heard/read where Teflon tape is not desired for use with a hydraulic system.

Logic was that the strings or pieces of the tape can cause problems if it gets into the system.

There was mention of using a tube based sealant for hydraulic threads instead.

Just passing on an old interwebby tail that may or may not be true...(but suspect there is merit in following the advice.)