Oil & Fuel Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil? #1  

ChuckTX

Tractor
John Deere 5055E
After a few months of owning a 5055E tractor, I finally got to remove my 405 backhoe to attach a box blade. I've been swapping the front attachments and during that, I tend to lose oil like most of the owners. It's been bothering me but since it's a new tractor, I didn't worry too much. After removing the backhoe, I checked the levels and it shows "low" now. My dealer explained that this is normal since there is some oil in the backhoe lines too and now the level can't measure that (since it's not attached anymore). The problem is, it doesn't make sense to keep using it at "low". What if I weren't to attach the backhoe again? But if I add it to "normal" level and then if I attach the backhoe back, this time would it not be too much oil?

I'd appreciate any help.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil? #2  
I’d add oil to the full mark. It’s measuring what’s in there now. The level shouldn’t change if you put the backhoe back on.

I like to check the level on a regular basis, because it helps to detect slow leaks, especially in implements.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil? #3  
I’d add oil to the full mark. It’s measuring what’s in there now. The level shouldn’t change if you put the backhoe back on.

I like to check the level on a regular basis, because it helps to detect slow leaks, especially in implements.
I do the same. Once the backhoe is full it will stay that way. So might as well fill up the tractor to near the full mark.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil? #4  
When an hydraulic cylinder is fully extended, the full internal volume of the cylinder is full of fluid. When retracted, that volume is reduced by the displacement of the rod that has been drawn into the cylinder.

An illustration in my owner's manual shows the backhoe in the travel position when checking the hydraulic fluid. (Also shows the FEL level and on the ground.). In the travel position the stabilizer pistons and the boom piston are retracted; less fluid is in the BH, and more fluid is in the reservoir to be shown on the dipstick. When the BH is detached, the stabilizers and the boom cylinders are more extended; more fluid is in the BH, and less fluid is in the reservoir. (The dipperstick and bucket cylinders are extended in both configurations.)

If the removal of the BH causes the fluid to read below the lower mark on the dipstick, I would add fluid. It may be instructive to read the dipstick immediately before and after mounting or demounting the BH.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil? #5  
My Kubota has 2 lines on the dipsticks for both the crankcase oil and hydraulic oil reservoirs (sumps); the manual states that a level between the marks is acceptable. I consider the upper line to be a "Max Fill" and the lower line to be "Add Fluid". Unlike some other manuals, no mention is made of what volume that distance represents. (Many automotive manuals state the distance represents approx. 1 liter or 1 qt.).

I suggest the next time you have the fluid near the lower mark you add a calibrated amount (1 pt, 1 qt.) and note how much that changes the level. This may prevent becoming frustrated after repeatedly adding small amounts of fluid and then adding a healthy slug that overfills.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Fluid Shows "Low" After Removing Backhoe, Should I Add Oil?
Thank you so much for your responses guys, I think I'll go ahead and top it off like you said.

I suggest the next time you have the fluid near the lower mark you add a calibrated amount (1 pt, 1 qt.) and note how much that changes the level. This may prevent becoming frustrated after repeatedly adding small amounts of fluid and then adding a healthy slug that overfills.
This is what I was wondering! Like how would I know how much to add? I guess this is the only way. Thank you!