Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Neither the tractor or logsplitter owner's manual state the following:

<font color="red"> Adding a hydraulic implement using your tractor's rear remote uses a SURPRISINGLY large amount of hydraulic fluid. </font>

I finally purchased the TSC 3ph logsplitter and connected it to my rear remote hydraulic outlet with two 1/2" hoses, one 4ft and the other 5ft. After splitting 2 cords of wood and removing the splitter, I checked the fluid and it didn't even show up on the dipstick. This morning, I added an entire GALLON of NH134 and it STILL only registered halfway in the "acceptable" zone of the dipstick. That means that two little hoses and one 4" cylinder (retracted!) used more than 12% of my tractor's hydraulic capacity just for filling the airspace. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The moral, I guess, is always check your hydraulic level after adding a new hydraulic implement - even if it is not permanently attached.

Mark

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter #2  
Did you check the fluid before you added the log splitter? Maybe it was already a little low and you didn't realize it.

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter #3  
I think SmokeyMountain found this out the hard way by having his tractor stuck on a hill forever.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
The moral, I guess, is always check your hydraulic level after adding a new hydraulic implement - even if it is not permanently attached. )</font>

Yep...They suck more fluid than one would think.

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter #4  
I've seen some filters with an external filter as well.... even more volume to make up for.

Soundguy

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter #5  
FYI...A 4" cylinder 12" long will hold one gallon of fluid.

How big is your ram?

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter
Danny: I checked before and it was fine.
CTyler: I know it's 4" diameter and the capacity of the splitter is 26". I figured that there wouldnt be that much used up with the ram retracted, but it did.....

Mark

/ Hydraulic fluid low after adding logsplitter #7  
Yup, a double-acting ram fills both sides, so it will make little difference where the ram is positioned - the whole cylinder is filled. Those big long wood splitter rams can pack away some oil.

--->Paul