Oil & Fuel Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #1  

Chrxis1900

Tractor
yanmar1601d
I recently bought a Yanmar 1601D with 1400 hours on it from a private seller, and I love it. I am new to tractors and am only moderately mechanically inclined. When I purchased the tractor I noticed that there was some yellow discoloration (read greasy) under the PTO shaft and on the drawbar. I have used the tractor many times, mostly mowing the fields with the rotary mower. I noticed some drips on the concrete floor where I park the tractor in the garage one day so I placed a catch pan under it. I have since noticed that there is a small drip, maybe a couple of milliliters per week, coming from the PTO shaft. However, when I park the tractor after running the rotary mower it does leak considerably more, maybe 10-15 milliliters, but it leaks at this rate only for an hour or so before returning to the normal slow drip. Yesterday I ran the rotary mower and noticed that there was no drip coming from the PTO after parking the tractor. I checked the oil dipstick that is placed below the gear shift. It was clear, but it would only show up on the dipstick if I screwed the cap all the way down (but not if I just stuck it in and did not screw it down).
So my questions:
Is this leak urgently in need of repair?
How complex of a repair might this be?
Could I be unintentionally causing or worsening the leak?
drip pan.jpgPTO.jpg

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #2  
Well... leaks don't get better by themselves.
Great that you refer to mil's - easy to comprehend.

The leak is faster when the oil is hot as it 'thins' when warm so it seeps past your failed seal more easily.
The cold oil, during the week, seeps less.

You need to replace the PTO Output Shaft Oil Seal. I'm not au-fait with that model but you might be able to Google an answer as to procedure.
Add oil to top level mark with dipstick 'out' to be safe.

Oh, and the obligatory :welcome:

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #3  
I just looked at your Pic 2.
1. Seal replacement should be straightforward. Remove the rear cover plate if necessary.
2. Get a cover for your PTO shaft. Or a new shaft.

(Know safety, No pain. No safety, Know pain.)

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #4  
I replaced same seal on my YM1700, not very hard with right tools.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #5  
If you can live with a leak then don't fix it. Do keep the fluid level correct. The level is to be checked with the dip stick sitting on the threads, not screwed in. If you decide to change the seal then take a look at this. Yanmar Tractor PTO Seal Replacement - YouTube

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D
Thank you for all the quick replies! I will attempt to replace the seal when I can have the tractor down for an undetermined time just in case I get hung up. In the mean time I will keep the oil up. I felt that it was a simple seal, but the intermittent leak gave me doubts.

Spanner-- thanks for the straightforward logic that I overlooked with the oil temp. And thanks for the safety advice, the previous owner was not much in to it. PTO yoke had no locking pin...just a metal duct clamp to keep the female end of the shaft from shortening too much. Currently looking for a master shield and have been shopping for a safer shaft.

Winston1--Thanks for the video, of course Hoye has a video!

Morris Lipham--thanks for the encouragement.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #7  
You're welcome. We aim to please...
Just buy a new shaft complete with cover and safety check chains. PTO shafts are not expensive and you'll know its working history.
Ask if you need help with measuring, cutting to length, safety chains and maintenance.
Plenty of stuff on YouTube. Some of it is a bit 'Redneck' though. (imo)
Grease is your 'friend'.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Leaking from PTO shaft of 1601D #8  
I was going to say all the same but it was covered here. Hoye has a video on pto seal replacement . Although it is straight foward, there are a few steps. And oil leaks more when warm as its thinner.

And like Winston said, if you can live with it and will remember to top it off and check it , you won't hurt anything other than some oil drips all over your place by letting it leak.