hydraulic fittings torque

/ hydraulic fittings torque #1  

jnlco

Tractor
B-20
I recently bought a B20 5yrs. old. I changed a leaking hydraulic hose on the TL420 loader. Yesterday, I read in the forum something about the fittings needing to be torqued. Anyone know what the torque should be on this loader? Are all fittings torqued the same? This is my first tractor and I really appreciate all the info I have gotten from your discussions. THANKS, John P.S. Tried twice to reach KUBOTA at info@kubota.com but the site wouldn't accept my e-mail.

/ hydraulic fittings torque #2  
Jnico,

Congrats on the new tractor. The B20 has a lot of punch in that little package. My B21 amazes me all the time. I am sure there is a spec for torque of hydraulic hoses but I don't know it. On the two backhoe tractors I have had I have just put them on and tightened up. You do need to take care when checking for pin hole leaks. Use something besides your hand, there is alot of pressure there.

/ hydraulic fittings torque #3  
Have you given your local Kubota dealer a call yet?
To be honest I never seen a service person torque hydraulic fittings or hoses,for it seem they go by feel and I have to admit so do I. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I would be most interested in what infomation that you come up w/ about hydraulic fitting torque.

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ hydraulic fittings torque #4  
I agree with Thomas. I looked at my loader manual and it gives torque values for the nuts and bolts, but I didn't find anything about hoses or fittings and I've never known of anyone to use a torque wrench on them. I thought you just tightened them enough that you don't think they'll leak. If it leaks, it ain't tight enough (unless it's cross threaded, got dirt on it, or something else)./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ hydraulic fittings torque #5  
You should be able to get them tight enough with two ordinary wrenches. No need for anything longer, and the extra leverage may result in stripped threads.

The idea is to get them tight enough so they won't leak. Taking torque readings is a different sort of idea. With pipe thread fittings, you don't have to worry much about structural issues or the fittings loosening up. I thing of torquing as mostly for machine bolts where related bolts have (cylinder heads) to be the same tightness; tapered shafts have to be seated (steering); or part faces may work against each other or loosen if not sufficiently tight. Pipe threads are tapered, and work differently than machine threads.

A liquid pipe dope for hydraulic fittings is sold. Don't use Teflon tape, because it can break off inside the line and lodge in the system.

/ hydraulic fittings torque #6  
Hello John,
Im sort of in the same dilema as you. I have a puunctured hose on my L35. I tried to find a way to take it off but couldnt really come up with a solution. How may I ask did you go about taking your hose off??
Thanks,
Ben

/ hydraulic fittings torque
I took Thomas' advice and called a dealer.He had never heard of torqueing hydraulic fittings. He had the same advice as other members. tighten the fittings fairly tight. If it leaks, tighten it some more. Ben, this hose was fairly accessable but I see some I can't get a wrench around. THanks again everybody, John