Snow Attachments Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower #21  
Good point on the weight issue. I am thinking that a snow thrower and a hydraulic snow plow would work like a charm.

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower #22  
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Educate me (I'm now in Hydraulics 102). On my Kioti I'm not using any control valve for the snowblower, just engaging the PTO at idle and ramping up to engine speed before moving into the snow. When finished I stop, give it a little time to clear the auger and chute, back down to idle and only then disengage the PTO. Are you thinking I have a significant risk of cavitation and possible hydraulic motor damage when using this technique?
I appreciate your experience and wisdom.

DrMac

Oldnslo is correct, if you allow for spindown on a open system you would not have a issue. If you want a simple fix for this just install 2 tees in your pressure lines at the motor [1 is pressure, 1 is return depending on rotation] then install a check valve between the 2 lines. it has to block flow in the forward direction and allow bypass in the opposite [wind down] position. The blower basicially causes your motor to turn into a pump and the check will allow the motor to suck fluid from the opposite line then it would not matter how fast you shut it off. Use a low crack pressure check also. We have to do this for a hydrostatic system or it will destroy the motor almost instantly. CJ

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower
CJ-thanks for the addition to my fledgling education. I"ll do it as an additional safety feature (maybe for the outside chance that I can get my wife to do the snow blowing).

DrMac

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower #24  
Wow. A man that can see a problem and have the mental capacity to come up with a fix. That is a heck of an idea. You could apply a little down pressure if the snow is heavy and lefts the blower. If the snow is deep you can take the top 2 feet off then take the bottom layer. I may attempt your invention myself. I have a fare amount of customers and I wonder if the extra weight combined with the road traveling I have to do would be hard on the front end?

P.s. It is almost eight pm and here in NewBrunswick Canada, it is storming. A foot of snow is expected overnight. Me and my L4740 will be busy tomorrow.

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower #26  
I'd like to build something like this.....some day. It takes the fluid from the loader circuit. I have most of the hydraulic parts all I need is time which is always in short supply.
Sheyenne Tooling & Manufacturing

You should not run a system like this off the loader circuit. There is only a few gallons of fluid and running continuously at high rpms would heat up the fluid and destroy your hydro system.

You need a seperate pump and reservoir like the OP did. He did a nice job and he did it right. Going the cheap route like you are suggesting is going to cost you big time in the long run.

With all that said your tractor probably only puts out 5-7 gallons of hydraulic flow per minute. You need in the neighborhood of 20 or more to run a blower. It will just not work.

Nice job on the build Drmac.

Chris

Thanks Chris, winter is still gasping along here (north central WA), we had about 4 inches yesterday and maybe the same tonight.

You're absolutely right about the heat generated. My 20 gal reservoir seems to handle it, but while I'm running you can see the steam coming off the hydraulic motor. EVERYBODY--PAY REAL ATTENTION TO THE NEED FOR HYDRAULIC FLUID COOLING!!

Good luck to all.

DrMac

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower #28  
Greetings;

I have a chance to purchase a 73" Quick Attach hydraulic snow blower that I want to mount on the front of my 47 hp. tractor.

Quick Attach informs me that I need a 15 GPM PTO pump that puts out 3000 PSI.

All of the PTO pumps I find operate at +/- 2000 PSI, which I am told will not be enough to handle much snow.

The 2000 PSI pumps sell for +/- $600 while their 3000 PSI pump sells for $4,500.00.

Has your snow blower worked well with a +/- 2000 PSI pump?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Thom

/ Hydraulic conversion of a PTO snow blower #29  
mine is their 3,000 psi 15 gpm pump that quick attach sells. their price is not just the pump. its the pump, 25 gal hydraulic tank, 3 point attachment, all hoses and controls. i paid $3,995 for my hydraulic package.

Greetings;

I have a chance to purchase a 73" Quick Attach hydraulic snow blower that I want to mount on the front of my 47 hp. tractor.

Quick Attach informs me that I need a 15 GPM PTO pump that puts out 3000 PSI.

All of the PTO pumps I find operate at +/- 2000 PSI, which I am told will not be enough to handle much snow.

The 2000 PSI pumps sell for +/- $600 while their 3000 PSI pump sells for $4,500.00.

Has your snow blower worked well with a +/- 2000 PSI pump?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Thom

Hi Thom. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been spending a lot of time lately in treatment of my prostate cancer--get your digital exam and PSA!

My system has worked beautifully. The pump is a Prince from The Surplus Center. Their part number is 9-1047-1-C. It's designed to run off a PTO at 540 rpm producing 21 gpm @ 2000 psi with 32 hp input. My tractor is a Kioti 50SE HST and the old blower is a Woods SB 74. If you give me your mailing address I'll send you a hard copy of my whole experience. Good luck.

DRMAC.