Hydraulic control handle

/ Hydraulic control handle #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
I’m trying to restore my Ford 1910 and Ive been trying to remove the hydraulic control handle that you use to control the up and down on the 3 point hitch but it’s rusted on I’ve removed the pin that holds it in place but it won’t budge I’m out of ideas on how to get it off... I’d love to hear some other peoples thoughts and ideas of how to remove it

/ Hydraulic control handle #2  
Spray it with some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil every time you walk past it. Tap on it lightly with a hammer each time too in order to vibrate it. Might take a few days but it'll break loose.

Has worked for me on several stubborn items.

/ Hydraulic control handle #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Yes, a commercial penetrating oil may help... I seem to remember using a few drops of Tabasco Sauce might help with loosening rusted parts. :)

Enjoy the site.

/ Hydraulic control handle
Spray it with some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil every time you walk past it. Tap on it lightly with a hammer each time too in order to vibrate it. Might take a few days but it'll break loose.

Has worked for me on several stubborn items.
I’ve let it sit with PB blast for several days but I’ll try tapping it too hopefully it’ll come off

G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Yes, a commercial penetrating oil may help... I seem to remember using a few drops of Tabasco Sauce might help with loosening rusted parts. :)

Enjoy the site.
Thanks man I have been enjoying the site

/ Hydraulic control handle #6  
I have no experience with that issue in that context, but a long while back I was able to remove some stubborn pins with a bit of heat - apply, wait, try again. Anyway, worth a try if you have a heat gun, or can pick up one at HF. A heat gun is useful anyway to have around - I have used it for any number of tasks.

/ Hydraulic control handle #7  
I usually use a small puller when I can fit it into the area. Very handy tool. Here is one that I like the looks of on Amazon.

I've also used wedges. An old standby for that job is to cut a slot the width of the shaft in a piece of hardwood, then taper the hardwood until it can be driven between the lever and the casting to force the lever to move away from the casting.

You probably don't want to be rotating the lever on the shaft after removing the retaining pin. That's counter-productive.

Before you use much heat, check if there is a rubber seal where the shaft comes through the casting.
luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
I usually use a small puller when I can fit it into the area. Very handy tool. Here is one that I like the looks of on Amazon.

I've also used wedges. An old standby for that job is to cut a slot the width of the shaft in a piece of hardwood, then taper the hardwood until it can be driven between the lever and the casting to force the lever to move away from the casting.

You probably don't want to be rotating the lever on the shaft after removing the retaining pin. That's counter-productive.

Before you use much heat, check if there is a rubber seal where the shaft comes through the casting.
luck,
rScotty
I didn’t think about a rubber seal being there I’ll have to make sure I check

I have no experience with that issue in that context, but a long while back I was able to remove some stubborn pins with a bit of heat - apply, wait, try again. Anyway, worth a try if you have a heat gun, or can pick up one at HF. A heat gun is useful anyway to have around - I have used it for any number of tasks.
I’ll give using heat a try not many other options