Hydraulic Bucket & Thumb Operation

/ Hydraulic Bucket & Thumb Operation #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
On the M59 TLB the standard operator's manual covers the tractor and loader but not the backhoe. I've heard that backhoe manuals are now available, does anyone know of a download site?

My question is about using the hydraulic thumb. To maintain grip on an object it seems to me that the bucket needs to overpower the thumb and force it backwards. Anyway, that's how I've used it and it's worked smoothly for years. The motion of the bucket+thumb was powerful with the bucket overpowering the thumb, and it didn't seem to differ if the foot pedal valve for the thumb was held open or not. Sometimes I use my foot to hold that valve open, sometimes not. But recently the motion as the bucket forces the thumb back has become a little jerky and as it jerks the thumb cylinder makes a little bit of honking noise as it is forced backwards....sort of like it is sticking. There isn't anything obvious and I was wondering if I had gotten some air into the bucket or thumb circuit. No, I still haven't reversed the foot pedal - even though that makes sense to do. Was going to do that and then this started.
rScotty