Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson?

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #1  

North to Alaska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4520r
Curious if anyone used the John Deere hydraulic fluid in their Branson, more specifically J20D low viscosity?
I’ve been researching price and availability of different hydraulic fluids, especially winter/cold temperature viscosity fluids.
Coastal J20d equivalents from NAPA is $108 for 5 gallons
Chevron all weather is $166 for 5 gallons.
Never checked Kubota dealer here because of expected $$$$$
Just called and talked to John Deere dealer...$80 for 5 gallons of J20d low viscosity:thumbsup:

My tractor sits outside (Talkeetna, AK) and I am in the process of swapping my fluids out for winter/cold temp fluids.

Branson 4520r (shuttle shift)

Thanks!

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #2  
If Branson recommends a low-vis oil I would be very comfortable using the Deere oil.

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #3  
I wouldn't have any issue using it in mine in the winter.
I'm using Cen-Pe-Co multi purpose tractor fluid in mine it's a para synthetic.

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #4  
My RK55, I just swapped to Mobilfluid 424/Mobil Delvac which has a more usable viscosity than the cheap/factory j20c fluid spec'd.
Hopefully this makes the HST/hydraulics function better in the cold. Good luck, wish synthetic j20e and similar oils weren't outrageous!

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #5  
My RK55, I just swapped to Mobilfluid 424/Mobil Delvac which has a more usable viscosity than the cheap/factory j20c fluid spec'd.
Hopefully this makes the HST/hydraulics function better in the cold. Good luck, wish synthetic j20e and similar oils weren't outrageous!

What the heck is "useable viscosity"?

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #6  
Meaning it's not thick as molasses when cold?
The owners manual wants us to have our tractors warm up for 30 minutes before use as the j20c spec d oil is too thick.

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #8  
I asked my dealer about using Super UDT and they said I shouldn't.

You might ask your Alaska dealer what they recommend for the cold.

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #9  
I've found not all j20c, d oils are the same. They have different viscosity specs at certain temperatures. The point is that not all oils perform the same. The cheap j20c oil in my tractor doesn't work in the cold, the better mobilfluid does - even though it's not a d graded oil.

/ Hy Gard j20d hydraulic fluid in their Branson? #10  
There is zero oversight in the hydraulic oil industry. I could put cat piss in a bucket and call it J20-C until I lost a civil suit.