Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #11  
no one will ever know what actually happened, however as all sportsman know complacency is dangerous. its so easy to climb into a stand without checking the obvious things like straps, lesson is just be safe. where I come from hunters aren't treated very well any publicity is negative & just turns into more ammo for anti's. just hope the guy didn't suffer.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #12  
That's a horrible way to go.
I hunt out of a climber exclusively. I have used every type of climber imaginable. I have three of the best that money can buy. They all come with a harness. I used a harness once......never again.
The only one I would consider is the one one rock knocker recomends. Anything else is a death trap as far as I'm concerned.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #13  
use a slow decent device

Downsafe Descender - Emergency System for Treestand Hunting for example

also use a good harness.

In my area WT hunters go a long ways up a tree, usually 40 foot. A 40 foot fall might easily leave you driving a wheel chair with a sippy straw the rest of your life.

I use summit climbers and hang on stands. Summits are awesome climbers but they aren't fall proof by any means.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #14  
That's a horrible way to go.
I hunt out of a climber exclusively. I have used every type of climber imaginable. I have three of the best that money can buy. They all come with a harness. I used a harness once......never again.
The only one I would consider is the one one rock knocker recomends. Anything else is a death trap as far as I'm concerned.

IF you go say that you are using a rock climbing harness on some forums you will almost get run off.. ppl are so near sighted they cant see that a harness can be used for multiple things (rock climbing and tree stands).. I hope i never need to test my harness, but i have been a foot off the ground and forgot to detach myself and jump down - the pruset (sp) knot stopped my jump cold LOL

brian

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #15  
Most likely died of suspension trauma. Within seconds of sustaining a fall in a harness, your blood will begin to pool in your legs, due to constriction of the blood vessels in the legs. Even individuals in relatively good shape can be dead in a matter of minutes. Kind of like bleeding to death without losing any blood. Pretty scary stuff. Fortunately the tree stand industry has come up with some pretty good inventions like the suspension relief straps(carried over from the constuction industry,) and the descent devices which will lower you safely to the ground. Another good point to remember is if you're trapped in a harness for any period of time, remain in a seated position for an hour and have bloodwork drawn at an ER, returning in a couple days to have repeat bloodwork. It may sound funny, but the blood pooling up in your legs is continuously building toxins, which, upon release back to the body depending on the severity, can cause immediate issues, or even long term health problems such as kidney disease. Just an fyi to keep you'ns safe out there.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #16  
Most likely died of suspension trauma. Within seconds of sustaining a fall in a harness, your blood will begin to pool in your legs, due to constriction of the blood vessels in the legs. Even individuals in relatively good shape can be dead in a matter of minutes.

I have no idea where you heard that. I've fallen 10 or 12 feet in a rock climbing harness and been suspended for several minutes while figuring out how to get back to the wall. On sport climbs we'd often just rest while hanging in the harness after a fall. I'm not saying you want to spend an hour hanging in the thing, but a good harness should spread out your weight over a pretty decent area and not cut off your circulation.

The device KF Hunter uses, the decent device, is a good idea if you can afford it. Falling any distance while using a static rope is very dangerous. Climbers use a dynamic rope, which cushions you like a bungee cord, and even that halt is pretty abrupt if you don't have a lot of rope out. Is there a way to secure a dynamic rope to the ground, run it up to your stand, and through a loop attached to the tree? That way, if you fall, you'll have the extra 20 or 30 feet of rope out. Anything to decrease the impact force seems like a good idea as long as you don't hit the ground.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #17  
I have no idea where you heard that.

I heard it both in OSHA and MSHA training. I work in the mining industry and our safety programs and training are quite extensive..It's called suspension trauma. Not something I just arbitrarily made up. The fact of the matter is, if you remain suspended with direct pressure from straps under the legs long enough, you will die. You're welcome to research this on your own if you'd like, don't take my word for it.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #18  
I heard it both in OSHA and MSHA training. I work in the mining industry and our safety programs and training are quite extensive..It's called suspension trauma. Not something I just arbitrarily made up. The fact of the matter is, if you remain suspended with direct pressure from straps under the legs long enough, you will die. You're welcome to research this on your own if you'd like, don't take my word for it.

He's absolutely right. A rock climber is going to turn around and latch onto the wall and start climbing, but a treestand hunter is going to be in rubber boots, already cold in thick clothing most likely and there just isn't any way to latch onto a slick tree truck and climb to relieve the tension around your legs. So you get blood pool and eventually death.

Also not a lot of guys know about it, so they hang there trying to call on a cell phone for rescue when really it would have been better to cut the strap and drop if self rescue was impossible.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #19  
He's absolutely right. A rock climber is going to turn around and latch onto the wall and start climbing, but a treestand hunter is going to be in rubber boots, already cold in thick clothing most likely and there just isn't any way to latch onto a slick tree truck and climb to relieve the tension around your legs. So you get blood pool and eventually death.

Also not a lot of guys know about it, so they hang there trying to call on a cell phone for rescue when really it would have been better to cut the strap and drop if self rescue was impossible.

When I recently took the bowhunter safety course, the instructor suggested carrying several screw-in steps in an easily accessible pocket to self-rescue. I don't know how easily they could be started into the trunk from a suspended position, but it's not a half bad idea. The best advice I think I've seen for treestand use with a standard tether/tree belt setup is to keep the tree belt high enough so that if you fall, the stand is at a level that at least you have a fighting chance to make it back to the platform. Nothing is guaranteed though for sure, but it's a risk most of us are willing to take for the sport.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #20  
I hunt from tree stands and always do a mental checklist before assending or desending. Partly because I am afraid of heights :)