huge excavator

/ huge excavator #21  
Did you take a serious look at that thing, I can definatly say I could out dig it with a shovel. What might be a good use for it would be, like someone mentioned, possibly running a hammer{??}. I have nothig against a machine but if it acts like a toy and looks like a toy then it's probably nothing more then a.....toy.

What you have to realize is in the real world is there's a diminishing number of *legal* citizenry that's willing to dig with a shovel.

I built my business with a shovel and in my mid 40's routinely outdig 20 yr olds digging & shaping footings or flinging stone and with the lack of iron men left, those machines will become more & more popular. Based on that reality, an operator of a shovel will feel a lot more tired than the operator of that machine by the end of the day.

It would be excellent in a barn or building for digging footings, but I agree it pushes the limits of small size.

Last edited:
   / huge excavator #22  
That is the funnest thing i think i have ever seen. I did not even know there was anything like that.

/ huge excavator
What you have to realize is in the real world is there's a diminishing number of *legal* citizenry that's willing to dig with a shovel.

I built my business with a shovel and in my mid 40's routinely outdig 20 yr olds digging & shaping footings or flinging stone and with the lack of iron men left, those machines will become more & more popular. Based on that reality, an operator of a shovel will feel a lot more tired than the operator of that machine by the end of the day.

It would be excellent in a barn or building for digging footings, but I agree it pushes the limits of small size.

I agree that the work force is getting lazy{not sure what else to call it}. I just have to wonder what the digging force of that little machine would be? It would be a great training machine for a kid :thumbsup:

/ huge excavator #24  
A few things make a mini-excavator useful such as; They don't get tired, 360* rotation, backfill blade, a lot more digging force than a shovel, ability to put the
spoil away from the excavation, agility to climb over piles or push paths over piles, etc. That machine only has about 90* of swing total, and is clumsy. I saw one that was almost new go for $3200 at a Lyon sale. I could definitely out dig that with a 60# air powered clay spade and a shovel. And the air compressor and hose would be easier to tow.
But if the Kobelco was free and nobody was watching...

/ huge excavator #25  
Youd be surprised what it will do. I could pull 250 to 300 pound chunks of sawed concrete from the trenches. I even used it at the marina walking from one ramp to a waiting pontoon to go onto a hard to reach tram installation for a customer. THe ground is all gravel banks that are naturally cemented together. Its almost too hard to dig with a pick but the bucket will take it out like a charm. The limitted swing isnt a problem if you plan your job site right in most cases. I grew up on a tlb and that helps alot with learning positioning.

Too many times folks look at the size of the machine and laugh at it. But if you size the job to the machine that makes a difference. My brother uses his Bobcat mini ex more than he uses his 215 LC Cat. Just more jobs suited to the smaller machine. Right now hes looking at a PC01 to a PC03 Komastu for smaller jobs. I use the SS when we had its access for tons of jobs with my own out fit. I got tired of my help not showing up, or showing up hung over, Aching backs and the like.