HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid)

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid) #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Well, today I changed my fuel filter, and I stupidly forgot to bleed the air out of the system first. So I got some air in my injector lines, and after backing out of my garage, she stalled out on me and would not restart. Having never cracked the injector lines on my little Yanmar before, I thought I'd record my "learning process" that I went through. Hopefully someone whos never done this before might find the process useful, I think I did everything correct (though it took me a couple tries :)), so feel free to critique me. I apologize for my starter, it needs to be rebuilt, a bad solenoid I think :\.

YouTube - HOWTO: Bleeding air out of a small Yanmar diesel

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid) #2  
Re: HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid)

I just open my bleed screws and allow the fuel to run for about 5-10 seconds.

I works everytime for me :).

Mark

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid) #3  
Re: HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid)

mark777 said:
I just open my bleed screws and allow the fuel to run for about 5-10 seconds.

I works everytime for me :).

Mark
Same here, I was amazed to see such a small amount of little bubbles that came out but thal very small amount will keep your tractor from starting. Another thing I do is to make sure my tank is full before I change a fuel filter.

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid) #4  

dieselfuelonly said:
... feel free to critique...
I hope you mean that! :)

What I've read here, and found true myself, is that all the bleeding is done at the bleeder screws ahead of the injector pump. Work from the tank to the pump. First the bleeder on the input side of the filter, then the one on the output side, then the one on the pump input. These pumps can suck air and never prime when they need to be 'burped'.

Once you have fuel reaching the pump you have 2,000 psi (?) to push fuel and/or air forward and that will quickly force air out of the injector lines and through the injectors, so there is never a need to break the lines open. You might try that technique next time.

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid)

Well that should for sure save me some time next time :).

On my truck (1996 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD), it has a full-mechanical 12v diesel, that if you run it out of fuel, you may have to crack the injector lines to get it going again. I thought a similar process would probably apply, and I've heard of people having to do so on the Yanmars before too. But, I'll give that bleed screw on the injector pump a try next time too, it sure would be easier than having to crack the injector lines!

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid) #6  

Agree with the others. I have bled mine a few times and never cracked an injector line. Only the bleed screws.

Critique wise, use a philips head on philips screws. Keeps the purist and safety nuts in line. Also noticed that the drop rate on your 3 point hitch was mighty quick. I think it would need adjustment. Just my .02.

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid)

You are exactly right about the hitch, I had to change the little piece of hydraulic hose that connects the line about halfway down the tractor, and I discovered the little drop rate valve and had it all the way open, but since the fuel shut off so fast I didn't get a chance to test it out till I got her running again :).

/ HOWTO bleed air out of your Yanmar by cracking injector lines(A learning-as-I-go vid) #8  

dieselfuelonly,

Thanks for taking the time to shoot, post and share your "how to video" on bleed the lines.

For learning these maintenance tasks,
- words are very useful
- pics are great
- video takes it to the next level

Constructive critical comments from the viewers of the video helps to fine tune the task.

Suspect your video will be a useful reference for many.

corey