Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #1  

Fatdaddy

Tractor
Kubota
OK I buy this tractor a Massey 35 with a 6' finishing mower.. Guy brings it i cut about 5 stips it does fine so i get it..
neighbor who is splitting with me he gets on the next day.
he cuts 2 strips and tractor dies and the blades stop cutting dont turn.. The shaft is turning.... This was 7:30pm when i got off work.. have not took the tops off to see if belt come off broke or what.. Can you shear something??

Is there a site that shows how the belts go on..

David
Tenn

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #3  
Sounds like a shear bolt. It goes through the pto shaft and the shaft coming out of the gear box. check the manual as to what grade bolt to use it is important.

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #4  
he cuts 2 strips and tractor dies and the blades stop cutting dont turn.. The shaft is turning....

David
Tenn
Too much guessing about what this means. Yes you can shear something but it doesnt stop the tractor.

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #5  
Sounds like a shear bolt. It goes through the pto shaft and the shaft coming out of the gear box. check the manual as to what grade bolt to use it is important.

+1

If your cutter does not have a clutch, there will be a shear bolt. They are Grade 2 bolts designed to break easily so your PTO shaft does not (break).

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning
turns out it was the belt, got it back on and good to go.. He said he must have hit the key off with his knee when looking back..
what i do have is leaking out of the gear box.. Looks like the cover comes off from the back. Somebody at work said put a tube of grease in it to slow it down.........

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #7  
Corn head grease is a light Extreme Pressure grease available from John Deere. Many use it for this type of seal problem. Me included. --Just make sure the spindle is not wobbling more than just a little.
larry

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #8  
grease slows leaking seals.. where is yours leaking? breather on a cover or?

post a pic.

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning #9  
turns out it was the belt, got it back on and good to go.. He said he must have hit the key off with his knee when looking back..
what i do have is leaking out of the gear box.. Looks like the cover comes off from the back. Somebody at work said put a tube of grease in it to slow it down.........
If the cover is leaking, check the bolts for tightness. It could be a gasket also but my first action would be to check the bolts, if they are tight then I would remove the cover plate and install a new gasket the tighten it all back up.
I have had the bolts get loose on my tiller gear box after only about an hour of work and it was seeping oil, tightened it all back up and it stopped.

/ Howse 6"cutter stops cutting, shaft/pto is turning
good ideal on the bolts I will do that.. I was looking and the cover comes off from the back?? I take that off all the fluid runs out. Then do i put the grease all around the gears? Now guys Im not the sharpest knief in the drawer on fixing suff...

I was looking these gear boxes are not to high priced.. Id get one just to have a new one and no leaking