Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can)

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #1  

mikebarr

Tractor
MF 1736
greetings!
I have just been through 6 months of searching to replace my 92 Kubota L2650. (has PTO Clutch prob that i don't want to tackle)

Have pretty much settled on a New MF 1736 ROPS (Hydro), + 1 rear remote, loaded tires, Shop manual, Bl Heater, but its a 2016 model. $31500 CDN +Tax (23,250 USD) not sure how much they should be discounting the price for a 2 year old machine?

Had an intersting time with dealer visits: Kubota 3901 (terrible pedal layout), Mahindra (couldn get it started, rusty Hyd rams and poor maint access), New Holland workmaster 35/40 (good but very vulnerable loader hydraulics) & Kioti 40 Hp (developed an engine knock after 45 min of on the lot testing work...)

Background - 49 Acre hobby farm use tractor 50 -60 hrs /yr. about 25hrs Blowing Snow, 10 hrs Bushogging & the rest Misc moving round bales, landscaping, clearing trails, etc

very open to feedback and advice on the MF 1736 and pricing

Thanks
Mike

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #2  
Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Massey section.
You should get some good advice over there :)

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

On a side note, if the MF 1736 truly is new then the year of manufacture won't matter. Tractors aren't like cars when it comes to that... plus, tractors hold their value a lot more than vehicles over time.

I just had a Mate of mine buy a new Kubota L3800 and, according to tractordata.com, they stopped building them in 2014.

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #4  
Massey Ferguson has come a long way with quality. I just bought a 4707...fit and finish is excellent. The 17xx series are nice machines. My only suggestion is get the most horsepower you can afford now as it will save you in the long run the headache of upgrading. I see you are in Canada...any thoughts of a cab for snow?

Last edited:
   / Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #5  
Hey Mike, Fred here in Sask. Bought a new 1742 cab tractor last winter. You get snow right? Spring for a cab model. Got bugs in summer? Get a cab model, no wasps, other nasty crap. Warm in winter, cool in summer. Did I mention dust?

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #6  
:welcome:
To TBN Mike. Glad that you joined.

Like Metalbender said, Cabs are nice. My next one will be cabbed.

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #7  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

On a side note, if the MF 1736 truly is new then the year of manufacture won't matter. Tractors aren't like cars when it comes to that... plus, tractors hold their value a lot more than vehicles over time.

I just had a Mate of mine buy a new Kubota L3800 and, according to tractordata.com, they stopped building them in 2014.

There dont seem to be any hard and fast rules for the year a tractor is "born". In the US, tractors seem to be considered more like industrial tools than they are like cars when it comes to deciding their birth year. Near as I can tell, a company will build as many of a model as they figure they can sell in a "model run" - often 5 years. Then it is normal for a tractor to be considered "new" on the date that it is sold to a customer.
I worked at a motorcycle shop for awhile when I was a kid. The owner left bikes in the crates for years until they were sold; then they became "new". It wouldn't surprise me if someone could still find a brand new vintage bike today....the investment in a crated motocycle just wasn't that high back in the 1960s.
rScotty

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #8  
Hey Mike,

You are up north there, many years ago my family would spend a week or so during early summer fishing around the Palmer Rapids area (about halfway between you and Ottawa).

One thought about a 2016 1736 is that I believe the newer 1736's are not going to require a regeneration cycle to clean the DPF because they have eliminated it from the design. Huuuuum now I wonder if the DPF was only a US requirement?

My 1736 has low hours as its primary use is for blowing snow maintaining a 1,400 foot long driveway in the winter and I have not had any issues with it. Definitely get a block heater as mine is much happier being warmed up before starting if the temps are cooler than 20 Deg F.

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #9  
The 1736 replacement is the 1735M which has no DEF or regeneration requirements (they are able to emissions standards with out it). Both are good little tractors.

/ Howdy I'm Mike form Coldwater (Ont Can) #10  
The 1736 replacement is the 1735M which has no DEF or regeneration requirements (they are able to emissions standards with out it). Both are good little tractors.

Does it have any type of emissions equipment? How about EGR, DPF, or Catalytic elements?