How would you handle this neighbor issue?

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue?
sixdogs said:
Robert--when was the grape photo taken?
They look terrible.

Today

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #152  

That is shocking. I am familiar with Silver Creek and Fredonia grapevines from years ago and I can't even imagine them looking that bad. They are--or were-- lush and vibrant. Some of those vines there must be 100 years old. Will they bounce back or is this a multi-year recovery process?

sixdogs said:
That is shocking. I am familiar with Silver Creek and Fredonia grapevines from years ago and I can't even imagine them looking that bad. They are--or were-- lush and vibrant. Some of those vines there must be 100 years old. Will they bounce back or is this a multi-year recovery process?

The hardest hit will take a couple years to recover. Its been a very rough spring with the very early warm spell followed by multiple frosts.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #154  
Robert_in_NY said:
The hardest hit will take a couple years to recover. Its been a very rough spring with the very early warm spell followed by multiple frosts.

I don't know that they compare in hardiness with grape vines but we lost one of our three year old apple trees (6ft) this spring. It put out leaves early and then just croked with the frosts.

IslandTractor said:
I don't know that they compare in hardiness with grape vines but we lost one of our three year old apple trees (6ft) this spring. It put out leaves early and then just croked with the frosts.

Concords are extremely hardy. They have built in systems to be able to recover in time as long as we dont get multiple years in a row like this.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #156  

It seems strange to hear you guys talking about loss to frost, when the leaves are just coming out here. I guess living this close to the Arctic Circle has it's advantages. :D
You really must have had some hard frosts. I hope your grapevines come back soon.

IT, are you sure it was the frost that killed your apple tre? A damaged root system or being girdled by mice will do the same thing; the tree has just enough juice left to leaf out, then it dies.
Just a thought, either way you've lost a tree. ;(

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #157  
Robert
Sorry about the damage to your vines they look even worse than mine..........the only difference being we are 6 months out of cycle with you and the vines are going into full dormancy.......Pruning starts in a few days.........Will be pruning in what we call "cold" weather down to about 2 deg C nothing like your cold temps.
Hard to make out in the picture but it looks like your vines have lost primary, secondary and tertiary buds is that true? or is the hope for some crop. Can you prune off the dead canes? would it be cost effective?
I know you grow mainly juice grapes against our wine grapes, we have a saying when disaster strikes "next years vintage will be better we just have to keep going"
Best wishes to you and your enterprise I'm sure your vines will recover and produce bumper crops

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #158  
Jstpssng said:
IT, are you sure it was the frost that killed your apple tre? A damaged root system or being girdled by mice will do the same thing; the tree has just enough juice left to leaf out, then it dies.
Just a thought, either way you've lost a tree. ;(
You may be right. However the other trees also lost the first set of leaves but recovered. No evidence of girdling or deer damage and the trees are in a fenced area with additional protective mesh at the base. The tree that died was the "runt" of the small orchard as a large oak shaded it more than the others so perhaps it was just not as hardy and couldn't handle the added stress of multiple freeze thaw events this spring. Luckily for me they are just a hobby so it has nowhere near the consequences of Robert's vine failures.

Well the surveyors finished this neighbors line today and we own further over then we thought. They set line stakes every so many yards so I set t-posts and flagged them and we also mowed over to the now established boundry line. Well when I headed over to set the posts the neighbor lady stopped me and accused me of breaking her gate and also breaking a guide wire for the power pole (I didn't) she said I hit her gate with my tractor/excavator. I never touched the gate and her attitude really didn't sit well with me and when she just started accusing me of breaking her gate without even saying hi it set me off and I didn't hold back my feelings like I usually do. She was on my property accusing me and even telling me her husband saw me hit her gate. I really do not care much for these people. They never talk friendly and only come around to snoop and cause problems.

Here are a few pics including the gate.

ForumRunner_20120629_193100.png

ForumRunner_20120629_193051.png

ForumRunner_20120629_193113.png

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #160  
Well on the good side you now know the boundary of your property. On the bad side is you have pretty miserable human beings for neighbors.
"I didn't hold back my feelings like I usually do" hope this means you gave a little back to her.