How would you handle this neighbor issue?

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #111  
The only other thing I can add to this thread is:

Life is too short to be waste it on people who don't appreciate your company. I would get the survey done and get on with life.

You don't have any control over anyone but yourself. One day your crummy neighbors may want to make friends, (mainly because they will be wanting something from you)...but the shoe is on the other foot and you don't need to be friends with people like that. They lost their chance.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue?
Robert,

Whenever your grapes get into full swing, can you post a thread showing the harvesting, etc....

Are they manually harvested? Do you use Migrant workers or locals, etc....

The different aspects of agriculture in different parts of the country are fascinating to me.

Chris

I thought I had a thread on here about my harvest before but I couldn't locate it. I will try and find some pics and post them.

As for a crash course on how I farm my vineyards I will start with immediately after harvest. Once the harvest is done and the leaves start to fall I start walking every row and check every post (200 per acre) for any that are broke. If I find a broken post I pull the staples and remove the post and lay it down under the trellis. If it isn't too wet and muddy I will also lay down 300 pounds of potash per acres at this time as well.

Once the posts are checked I hire migrants to trim my grapes. They do a decent job, not great but their fast and some are better then others.

When the vineyards are all trimmed I run the rotary cutter through them chopping up the trimmings so that I can then walk through every row and tie up any vines that are down. I run a no tie system where the canes are wrapped around the top wire but occasionally you still have to tie some up that either came loose or if a cane got damaged or died and I have to pull up a new shoot.

When thats done I get a slight break from the physical work. When spring hits and the weeds start to grow I go in there and spray under the trellis and the row centers as well before the weeds hit 6" high. If I have the time I will do this after harvest once the leaves are off as well but usually its not a great time of the year to try that. If we get a lot of rain in the spring I weed spray more often as I need to keep spraying before the weeds get too tall. Once the canopy starts filling in then it chokes off a lot of the sunlight from reaching the floor so weeds are not as big an issue during the summer. You just need to stay ahead of them in the spring time.

Spraying wise for the canopy starts when the shoots are 1-3" in length. I usually spray twice before bloom then around 3-5 post bloom sprays depending on the weather and any possible pest issues. knock on wood I have not had to deal with very many pests and last year I didn't spray any pesticide in the vineyards as there was nothing worth addressing. Late in the summer you basically sit back and watch the grapes ripen as there isn't a lot to do other then scout the vineyards to keep an eye on things before a problem develops.

When the grapes reach at minimum 15.5 brix we can harvest. The higher the sugar the more their worth but again the weather dictates a lot of this. Cold, rainy days keep the sugar down as you need the sun to help ripen them. If you have a very heavy crop then you need a lot more time to get the berries to the proper level. Too heavy a crop and you may not reach that level. When their ready I have a custom harvester come in and harvest for me. He uses a pull type Gregorie to harvest. He does all the scheduling with the processors and trucking so all I have to do is pay him at the end of the harvest. I'm still too small to justify having my own harvesting equipment. I'm at 33 acres and feel I need to be in the 80-100 acre range at the minimum to warrant buying the equipment needed.

A harvest crew has usually one harvester, 2 tender tractors and two trucks. If were doing everything with bulk bins its fast. If you have to transfer boxes then you need a 3rd tending tractor as its a much slower process and you get less crop per tending tractor then with the gondolas. So your looking at 4 guys minimum for harvesting up to 6 guys depending on how your transfering the grapes from the vineyard to the trucks. You also need reliable equipment and to pull the gondolas you need powerful narrow vineyard tractors. So it takes a lot more equipment that really only gets used one month out of the year which is why I am hesitant to get into my own harvesting any time soon. When I am bigger then I will as it will allow me to have more control in my operation and less reliance on others but I'm not looking forward to taking that step just yet. A new self propelled Korvan is around $300k, the gondolas are around $20k, cabbed narrow FWA vineyard tractors are around $45k then you have the trucks and what ever system you go with. I would probably rent the trucks from Penske but would still need to buy 53' flatbed trailers as well as 1 ton boxes to haul the grapes in (certain plants are only set up to accept one style of box so it limits us) I'm not sure the cost on these boxes now but I would expect them to be in the $200 range each for a 4x4x4 poly lined box and lid. Each trailer will hold 26 of them and you want a few extras just in case something happens to one or if your just about finished with a field you can finish it and run those boxes in seperate with a pickup instead of running the tractor trailer again.

So thats a quick outline of my operation. I would like to have around 100 acres total as thats about max for what I feel I can do without needing to hire much help. At that size though I would probably let the migrants tie as well as do the trimming. That size farm makes it easier to justify the proper equipment which right now I have to use everything for multiple jobs between planting corn, haying, vineyard and other chores around the farms. Its easier to keep one tractor hooked to the weed sprayer since its tied into the tractor more and to remove it requires unbolting a boom, controller, removing the hoses that run from the 3pt hitch tank to the front boom and putting everything away only to have to hook it back up a month later. A bigger farm would allow me to keep it hooked up as it would be getting used a lot longer each time and by the time I make it through once I will get a slight break before needing to start again. Same with the sprayer for the canopy, once its hooked up you leave it hooked up till harvest when you switch over to the gondola.

If you go to my youtube page you can see videos of a couple of the harvesters. johndeerem - YouTube

Attachments

• Mark Martain's harvester 022.jpg
    Mark Martain's harvester 022.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 174
  • Mark Martain's harvester 012.jpg
    Mark Martain's harvester 012.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Mark Martain's harvester 018.jpg
    Mark Martain's harvester 018.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 168
The only other thing I can add to this thread is:

Life is too short to be waste it on people who don't appreciate your company. I would get the survey done and get on with life.

You don't have any control over anyone but yourself. One day your crummy neighbors may want to make friends, (mainly because they will be wanting something from you)...but the shoe is on the other foot and you don't need to be friends with people like that. They lost their chance.

Exactly, I'm thankful to have learned this lesson at a very young age. I do what I can to help people who need and deserve it. But some people I part ways with when they refuse to help themselves and start expecting me to just do things for them. I actually helped a guy move once 30 miles away. I took my truck and a 16' trailer to his place 30 minutes away from me. Took my time to load everything I could on my tuck and trailer, also took time to load as many small items as we could in a friends Chevy Beretta and had a few more items to be able to make it all in one trip. I asked the guy (my then girlfriends uncle) to bring his truck over so we could get everything in one trip and he refused. Said his truck uses too much fuel :confused2: I'm glad my truck and my friends Beretta ran for free since he never offered us a drink, food or gas money. My half ton fully loaded pulling a fully loaded 16' trailer through the hills really was efficient :mad:

So after that whole incident I decided to not help with the rest of the move since it wouldn't have filled my truck and trailer. The guy bad mouthed me to everyone on that side of the family. Also would harass me anytime he saw me on the road with a tractor. Blowing the horn and showing me his iq. I really miss having to see him for family occasions :laughing:

Robert I like your attitude and approach. Given you aren't there most of the time, escalating the situation is just going to ask for them to mess with your property. Most of the time people just don't like change even when it isn't on their property. I presume you don't have time to participate in a tit for tat neighbour dispute. As long as you don't do anything that gets an agency called on you I'm sure they will adjust to the new ownership over time.

Its possible its just a change thing but I don't know. I try to look at things reasonably which isn't very helpful when dealing with unreasonable people. If I had problems with a neighbor and he sold and I had a new neighbor I would be happy for a fresh start and would go out of my way to make a good first impression.

So far everyone I have talked to has come out and complimented the changes I have been making there. Even the widow loves how nice the place is looking. I'm working hard to improve the farm there and make it nice for the people who live around there. The trees on the inside of the curve I removed actually were a hazzard as it made it impossible to see if anyone was pulling out of a driveway. My harvester is happy their gone because when they would pull out of the field during harvest they could never see if a car, truck or tractor trailer was barreling down the road (this road is a main road for tractor trailers heading to the industrial section a few miles down the road).

I'm happy with what I am doing there and how I am approaching the situation and as long as I stay happy then everythings ok :thumbsup:

It all looks very nice. It matters little I know, but I like the trees since they sort of give the impression of a mountain.

I agree, I really like how the picture showed them. Its a nice little grove (I call it my locust grove) and something that is actually beneficial to me. Some day I may clear cut it if I find a more profitable use for that acre of ground but for now the trees have plenty of value to me as posts.

I would really enjoy seeing pictures of your harvest too.
The 80 deg days in March and then some frost didn't do our vines any good either here in SEO. We trim them, spray them, watch a lot get moldy and fall off, and if lucky eat a few and make some jelly. Just for fun, no business.
Here's how they look today..

Yeah, the frosts have really done a number on my vineyards. The one behind my house is about a total loss. The tertiarys are coming out finally as the primary and secondary buds were destroyed by the multipe frosts. The other vineyards the frost took out most of the niagaras (its only 2.5 acres) but the rest of the vineyards of concords have primary shoots out 5 inches then secondary shoots out an inch where the primary shoots had been killed off and then there are some patches where the tertiaries are all thats left. Each vineyard is a mess, there isn't one total block where you have an easy decision on how to proceed. Its going to be a very interesting year trying to properly manage this mess nature made for me but one that I actually look forward to learning from.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #118  
Yeah, the frosts have really done a number on my vineyards. The one behind my house is about a total loss. The tertiarys are coming out finally as the primary and secondary buds were destroyed by the multipe frosts. The other vineyards the frost took out most of the niagaras (its only 2.5 acres) but the rest of the vineyards of concords have primary shoots out 5 inches then secondary shoots out an inch where the primary shoots had been killed off and then there are some patches where the tertiaries are all thats left. Each vineyard is a mess, there isn't one total block where you have an easy decision on how to proceed. Its going to be a very interesting year trying to properly manage this mess nature made for me but one that I actually look forward to learning from.

How do you keep mold from developing in such a lush canopy?

pacerron said:
How do you keep mold from developing in such a lush canopy?

Air flow and sunlight. We have a nice breeze here usually so as long as you keep trees and other wind barriers away from the vineyards your usually fine. Are you sure your getting mold and not a disease though?

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #120  
Hello Robert,

I have read many of your post over the years and know you are a very level headed person. I think you are correct in the way you are handling the situation.

I too would like to see pictures of your harvest:thumbsup:

David

David beat me to it and wrote almost word for word what I was going to write, so I'm just going to copy his post and say I agree 100%!!!