How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds.

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Here's how you can stir a new jar of 100% peanut butter before you finish reading this. Apologies to all if everyone already knows this but I've done it for years and it was news to me when I figured it out.

Anyway, I discovered that an electric drill and a certain kind of egg beater-type attachment does a great job and does it PDQ. Maybe not 30 seconds but not much longer. Here's what that egg beater thing looks like:

IMG_4500.JPG

It doesn't have to look exactly the same, just one with a twist of some sort in it. I got this at a thrift store.

Just chuck it in the drill, open the jar and have at it. You mostly run backwards with the beater on high speed but switching back and forth helps. Start on low till you get the hang of things. You never raise the swirling mass above the edge of the jar (duh) or it will be all over the kitchen and at the same level s the edge of the jar. As well, a regular egg beater attachment will not work, creates a mess and will damage the beater. Been there and done that.

Here's the bottom line:

IMG_4499.JPG

Ignore the photo below. I didn't do that, the website did and I had a real struggle getting any picture to post. The sideways jar of peanut butter isn't my fault either. Beats me.

Attachments

• IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 309
   / How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #2  
That attachment is called a dough hook.

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #3  
Looks like it works, but...

In my nearly 3/4 century, I've never heard of stirring peanut butter.

I do remember white "butter" in plastic bags, and you had to break a packet of yellow dye that was inside, and then knead the bag to make the butter yellow. Some kind of stirrer would have been good.

But I never heard of doing anything to peanut butter, or of a need to. Is Ohio peanut better different than that in the far western states?

Bruce

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #5  
Looks like it works, but...

In my nearly 3/4 century, I've never heard of stirring peanut butter.

I do remember white "butter" in plastic bags, and you had to break a packet of yellow dye that was inside, and then knead the bag to make the butter yellow. Some kind of stirrer would have been good.

But I never heard of doing anything to peanut butter, or of a need to. Is Ohio peanut better different than that in the far western states?

Bruce

Organic peanut butter is not homogenized, and will separate with a layer of peanut oil forming after it sets for a while. You must stir to mix it back in.

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #7  
Sixdogs is speaking of 100% natural pb, where the oil tends to separate out over time due to the absence of additives found in the processed version, such as hydrogenated vegetable oil.

For me, I confess to being an off-the-shelf Jif Extra Crunchy guy. :licking:

At the risk of starting a flame war among my TBN friends: Natural Peanut Butter Naturally Bad, Says Cook's Illustrated - Chowhound

Now I'm hungry.

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #8  
Sixdogs is speaking of 100% natural pb, where the oil tends to separate out over time due to the absence of additives found in the processed version, such as hydrogenated vegetable oil.

For me, I confess to being an off-the-shelf Jif Extra Crunchy guy. :licking:

At the risk of starting a flame war among my TBN friends: Natural Peanut Butter Naturally Bad, Says Cook's Illustrated - Chowhound

Now I'm hungry.

Well, it appears our OP has the quick cure for the number one complaint of separation. Stir up with his dough hook and enjoy. I will not be enjoying any variety, as I am deathly allergic to peanuts. Death in a jar to me.

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #9  
Organic peanut butter is not homogenized, and will separate with a layer of peanut oil forming after it sets for a while. You must stir to mix it back in.

Almond butter separates also.

/ How to stir peanut butter in 30 seconds. #10  
[snip] I will not be enjoying any variety, as I am deathly allergic to peanuts. Death in a jar to me.

Yep, I have an adult niece who went into anaphylaxis at a restaurant and nearly died due to a trace of peanuts in one dish, an appetizer or soup, I think. Very scary stuff. I think about that every time I hear the phrase "There's nothing not good about peanut butter." :eek: And I love peanut butter!

Thank goodness we're all more educated about nut allergies, and the risks they pose. I saw a report a year or so ago about a protocol for desensitizing some folks to the allergy. James, you probably already know about it. I think this was the clinical trial: New treatment may offer hope for peanut allergy - CNN.com