How to revitalize old concrete patio?

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
My patio, which adjoins my deck, is concrete and going on 40 years old. It is a bit weatherworn and Sharn Jean wants me to do something to spiff it up a bit. I have looked at the garage finishes, patio paint, vinyl flooring, tile, etc. and still haven't a clue. I want it to look "fresh", but not gaudy, shiny or slick. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance;

Dennis

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #2  
Other than a good scrubbing with concrete cleaner and a power washing at high pressure, there is little else you can do. They do make products for topping concrete that will give old weathered concrete a fresh appearance but I have personally never worked with or used such a product. I doubt if the shiny garage floor finishes would last long if they were exposed to the elements. Tiling is an option, but frightfully expensive and it requires frequent maintenance.

Vinyl flooring? Unless the patio is not subject to weathering, forget about that. Painting will provide a new look but most paints are slippery and I have never found a paint that lasted worth a d***. How large of a patio are you talking about here? Would it be possible to break it up and remove it and put down new colored concrete? How badly is the patio weathered? Is it one slab or several? Any settling or cracking?

Wish I could be more help but there are so many variables involved it is very hard to determine your situation and make suggestions.

Maybe you could cover it with indoor/outdoor carpeting? Just a suggestion.

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #3  
For the past couple of weeks I've been investigating how to repair my cracked concrete driveway. One of the products I am considering is a resurfacer that goes on as a slurry and you just spread it out using a squeegee. No need to get down on your knees with a trowel to smooth it out. There are also Youtube videos showing the application.

QUIKRETEョ - Concrete Resurfacer

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #4  
We used a stain about ten years ago. We taped off lines, to make it look like we had wide grout lines with large tile. It is showing it's age now though...

we had a tile contractor over a year after we did it; he thought it was tile till he looked closer.

The slurry solution mentioned above is an option. We have a freind who does concrete; he said you can put solor in it, and even stamp it.

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #5  
Home Depot sells a product, I don't remember the name, that is similar to a truck bed liner that you roll on. It leaves a textured surface so slipping should not be and issue. It can be used on wood decking or concrete and comes in a couple of shades of gray for the concrete look. I am contemplating that for my front garage apron. I used a hot batch of ice melt a couple of years ago when it was new and it caused some spalling.

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #6  
Jackhammer.:thumbsup:

Concrete paver blocks.:thumbsup:

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #7  
1. Acid etch and pour a new coat (1" or so). You could pattern the new coat as well.

2. Acid etch and morter on "Z Brick" ( the 1/2" thick brick used for decorative finishing) with a morter or thinset. Morter the joints.

3. Rent a concrete floor grinder and give the existing a new surface.

paul

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio? #8  
You can also find epoxy-based "paints" (floor finishes) that are very durable and stick well. Most home stores also sell a specific kind of "sand" that you put into paint or other surface finish in order to make it rough and non-slippery (I have some of this).

I have not used them, but my understanding is that the epoxy-based stuff can yield great results, but be somewhat difficult to apply well.
-Mitch

/ How to revitalize old concrete patio?
Home Depot sells a product, I don't remember the name, that is similar to a truck bed liner that you roll on. It leaves a textured surface so slipping should not be and issue. It can be used on wood decking or concrete and comes in a couple of shades of gray for the concrete look. I am contemplating that for my front garage apron. I used a hot batch of ice melt a couple of years ago when it was new and it caused some spalling.

I think that may be the Quickcrete product mentioned above. This is what the wife wants, but it seems too good to be true...must be a hitch somewhere. Oh, I forgot to mention...price is a consideration.