How to repair steel culvert? Use concrete?

/ How to repair steel culvert? Use concrete? #12  
There are sleeves you can buy, these are installed from the outside so you would have to dig all around the end of the culvert to slide it over top. these sleeves come in different pattern of ripples, and they need to match and to be seal. This would buy you some time.

/ How to repair steel culvert? Use concrete? #13  
If you want to patch yours for a few more years of use, barring a flood, it should work, but it isn't a stable repair.
what are you saying here? can you elaborate or show what you are talking about?

/ How to repair steel culvert? Use concrete? #14  
what are you saying here? can you elaborate or show what you are talking about?
Sure, I have seen concreted culverts fail in high water situations because the concrete comes loose and plugs the culvert. These were mostly culverts that folks had plastered/concreted over the rusting bottoms.

There is a small effect of slightly reduced diameter for water flow, but I don't think that is significant in the real world. To me, once the culvert is more than half full with flowing water, it is on borrowed time.

Does that help?

All the best,

Peter

/ How to repair steel culvert? Use concrete? #15  
Sure, I have seen concreted culverts fail in high water situations because the concrete comes loose and plugs the culvert. These were mostly culverts that folks had plastered/concreted over the rusting bottoms.

There is a small effect of slightly reduced diameter for water flow, but I don't think that is significant in the real world. To me, once the culvert is more than half full with flowing water, it is on borrowed time.

Does that help?

All the best,

Peter
ha ic … thanks that helps and makes me think … two conclusions (valid or not to be debated) having water flowing through the culvert while it’s curing would contribute to its deterioration greatly then the absence of ripples speed the water flows.

Perhaps the only way to do it with concrete (if going that rout) would be dam the water (set pump up if required for at least 48h) installing a vapour barrier bottom half, attach some stucco chicken wired with self tap then concrete the bottom half … that’s how id do it if id have no money to change it … but note that every year that it survive I would be very happy … my expectations would be 5 years anything over it would be a bonus …

/ How to repair steel culvert? Use concrete? #16  
What is diameter of your culvert
how are you going to finish the concrete inside culvert
concrete liner will reduce capacity of the culvert
can you clean the culvert so that concrete bonds to steel
in large diameter culverts concrete has been added as liner to extend life of culvert
water flow in pipe needs to stop long enough to get initial set of concrete