How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts?

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #1  

NC1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power-Trac PT1460
Other than ordering less stuff, how can we minimize the 3 point turn ruts in our crusher run driveway from deliveries. The drive is 700' so backing out is not a reasonable ask. When they crank their tires from one side to the other in one spot it makes a little depression, when it rains, the depression stays a little damper than the surrounding area and it gets 5x worse the next time they crank, and they all do it in a different spot. We try to stay on top of it, rake, tamp, smooth with a bucket, but it is nearly a daily task with all of the rain we have had. Eventually we may concrete this area, but that is not in the cards in the immediate future. Thought about the geocell stuff but not sure how many full turns of a loaded delivery truck before it starts breaking down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #2  
I’ve heard of people putting a box at the end of the driveway for deliveries. I’ve got a paved driveway about the same length and have the same problem. They don’t hurt the asphalt but get off the edge in the grass.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #3  
We put a 3 x 6' (approximate size) hinged top box out at the entrance about 40' from the road with a sign ('Deliveries') on it. The box was intended to hold lounge cushions used around patios, swimming pools, etc. $10 used on Craigslist. I have an alarm sensor looking at it, so when we get a USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon etc. delivery. we know from the coded light & sound in the house that a delivery has arrived. The other indicators tell me its visitors, deer, or the dogs got out. Otherwise it's 800' up to the house.
Not worried about porch pirates either, because I have a 12V camera looking at it intended for helping you backup a truck or trailer, with the display running in the house. The distance is remarkable for one of these BlueTooth cameras. The only problem remaining is thieves who follow these delivery vehicles, but no problems, yet. Then I jump into a golf cart and fetch the package(s). All involved are satisfied.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #4  
Without pics my solution might or might not be applicable. How about a "turn around" spot? A widened, graveled area to the side of the drive that they can back into?

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #5  
We are going to put a box at the road. These kids cannot stay out of the lawn, so they don’t get to enter the property anymore.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #6  
I never had any issues with Fed Ex or UPS until I put a gate up. It's super easy to open, but they refuse to enter my place because of the gate. I put a plastic job box at the gate because they would put the boxes just inside the gate in random places. I'm not sure which was worse, in the driveway so the gate couldn't open, or on the wet grass where the fire ants would take over?

Now that I have a box, they are doing good at putting everything in the box, or on top of the box with the bigger boxes. My wife buys a lot from Chewy, so those boxes can be pretty big.

What's driving my crazy is that they are driving up to the gate, then backing onto the grass between my fence and the road, and leaving huge ruts. I wouldn't be surprised if they get stuck one of these days when it's really wet. Technically it isn't my land, it's the Highways land, but I mow it and I like to keep it looking nice. It just seems unnecessary to do this when they can just as easily back out onto the road and not cause any damage.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #7  
Circular driveway, or big turnaround spot at the house. Anything that allows them to just drive FORWARD.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #8  
When we bought our property, the front 'yard' was a hillside covered in grass and mature pine trees. One narrow driveway that lead straight into my garage. The road would go straight up the hill, turn 90 degrees at the contour line to my garage about 200 feet away. We would nose into our garage, but with no room to turn around, would have to back out down the road to the 90, back up the hill, and drive forward going down.

Delivery drivers would attempt a 34 point turn in that narrow driveway, driving on the grass, and generally tearing things up. Not to mention, that if anyone came over, there was simply no parking, or people would block others in. It was a nice looking front yard, but a nightmare in a practical sense.

I started by widening the road. I pushed it over as far as I could, right up against a row of large pine trees. That provided more parking area and a wider area for turning around. It stayed like this until we had to do work on our well, which was down the hill.

I cut down the trees and made a circular driveway. Now, trucks can simply drive in a circle. However, we still get moronic drivers that attempt to back their truck up, in reverse, up the hill, on gravel. Or they misjudge the turn and put their rear axle into the grass. For us, its easy to take the 'lower driveway' up to the 'upper' driveway, that turns right in front of the garage, and simply back into our spots. A vehicle equipped with a backup camera has saved many objects in the garage from my wife's destruction. 😁

A good driveway is a marvelous thing, that many take for granted.

Last edited:
   / How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #10  
Do you have room for a circle? The house I grew up in, my father put in a nice circle with a planter in the middle that was about 20-25' across. You'd drive in and go around to the right. There were 4 parking spaces off of one side of the circle, and an entrance to the carport parking pad a little further around. It was quite attractive, you could have up to 6 cars parked and still drive around the circle and out, and nobody was blocked in except any cars already in the carport. It was about 200' to the road. There were also a few parking areas off to the sides of the drive, as well as along the road, as my folks liked to entertain a lot.

Roughly looked like this. (don't laugh, looks like a priceless Picasso :ROFLMAO: ).

0D6D3093-12F0-4003-ADD3-B3F8FFC354D4.jpeg