How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain?

/ How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I need to load a Wallenstein BX60 3PT chipper on a trailer with sides and can't use forks. Anyone ever picked one up with the hook shown in the attached photo? It seems it's really to help opening the inspection cover and chute but sort of looks strong enough to lift. Anyone ever lift with a chain on it or have any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 116
   / How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain? #2  
It might be worth the trouble to remove the chute so as to lighten the load and control the lift dynamics. One might also use straps or rope instead of chain to make the lift.

cheers,
Mike

/ How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain? #3  
I think I would try to sling it with straps going underneath, rather than trying to pick it up from those handles.

How much does it weigh?

/ How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain?
I think I would try to sling it with straps going underneath, rather than trying to pick it up from those handles.

How much does it weigh?
No weight listed for the BX60. For a similar model 62S I can find a weight of 770 lbs and that sounds close.

Here's how this wound up. After studying the situation, I decided not to lift by that hook. It would likely bend the cowling and could even make the unit inoperable.

So, I decided to put the chipper on pallet, strap it down and pick the pallet up with forks. I can't think of any other way to load this chipper. FYI.

/ How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain? #7  
Help me understand something: if you were unable to load it onto a trailer with sides by picking up the bare chipper with the forks, how is putting it on a pallet and picking it up with the forks any different?

Help me understand something: if you were unable to load it onto a trailer with sides by picking up the bare chipper with the forks, how is putting it on a pallet and picking it up with the forks any different?
Slide in the back and push the pallet forward with the tips of the forks.

/ How to pick up a Wallenstein BX60 chipper with a chain? #9  
When I brought my Wally BX62S home - I lifted it out of the pickup bed with a nylon strap on the "loop" on the top of the discharge chamber. I rotated the discharge chute to help balance the load.

Nothing was bent or damaged. It was a simple lift and move it about 15 feet. Never had to move it that way since.
IMG_0012.jpeg

When I brought my Wally BX62S home - I lifted it out of the pickup bed with a nylon strap on the "loop" on the top of the discharge chamber. I rotated the discharge chute to help balance the load.

Nothing was bent or damaged. It was a simple lift and move it about 15 feet. Never had to move it that way since.

Very interesting and someone that has actually done the lift by that loop on the top of the discharge chamber. It's not on the pallet yet so going to think about things and recalculate. All I would do is pick it up, back the trailer under it and let it down.