How to justify buying a little piece of property?

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #31  
Eddie: about 25 miles from Buffalo National River. mine is bordered by Nat Forest on 2 sides. you can still find land in that proxmity, but like the OP mentioned, sky high prices. but doable in surrounding areas. the elk stay mostly along the river itself.
should you & wife ever decide to come up this way, let me know I could show you around the Buffalo & the Boston mts where i'm located
these sheds are not elk, but white tail i picked up on my place.

Attachments

• DSCN0290.JPG
    DSCN0290.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
   / How to justify buying a little piece of property? #32  
Thank you. She drives up to the Fayetteville area for dog show stuff a few times a year, but we've never been to your area. The mountains are amazing, especially compared to how flat it is here.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #33  
Not sure where to post this, I'll try here.

10AC came up as a potential purchase, it's connected to where I live.

Love to have it, the cost is an astronomical @ $35K per.

I'm scrounging about how to get it to subsidize/justify the cost.

Not a place for food plot, cattle seems the only answer (might have a good cattle tank - no bets) . Initial research shows that wouldn't scratch the cost surface, market is poor (even for an experienced cattle rancher, let alone a nOOB - IDK)?

Thoughts, suggestions welcome and encouraged.
You did not say how much land you have.

If you also have 10 acres, is it worth $350k?

If it is, are you better off selling your 10 acres for $350k then go shopping for a new place worth $700k that meets your needs. You may end up with 200 acres instead of 20, and land with more possibilities.

You have still invested another $350k but may be happier and better off.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #34  
Thank you. She drives up to the Fayetteville area for dog show stuff a few times a year, but we've never been to your area. The mountains are amazing, especially compared to how flat it is here.
good, have a place in Fayetteville as well, the Buffalo is about 65 m from town, my mt place around 50. take care

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #35  
I paid $54k for 10.5 acres in 1986. Could have bought additional 10 acres on either side of me for about the same price.
we couldn’t swing it financially, what with building a house and barn, and both sites sold a few years later

To my dismay, both buyers with 10 acres to build on, built their houses as legally close to ours as they could. Both drilled their wells as close to ours as they could.
I can hear them talking when working around the house and barn.
I regret not finding a way to buy back then

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #36  
Running cattle on $35k an acre land doesn’t sound very profitable to me.
That is what I thought.

One would need a much better description of the land.

Are we talking sage, junipers and tumbleweed, with a density of say 1 cow per 10 acres?
Or are we talking about irrigated land, lush green, etc?

Still, 10 or 20 acres falls under the "Hobby Farm" category.

Some people can make it work with the right land, irrigation, and resources. For most other people think of it as 4-H projects for the kids.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #37  
I'm in sort of a dilemma now as well. Our current property shown in the picture below is right at 11.15 acres. The diagram below shows it at 10.73, due to the GIS not being very accurate on the county site. Notice the LARGE plat to our left... it's right at 41 acres, with an existing home built on it, back in 1977. Our property line on our left side, is straight at the moment. We have a VERY thick "bottom" and a nice stream running on our left side property line. We had the land developer re-survey, to allow our property line to follow the center of the stream. That added 3.06 acres of adjacent land to our current plat. What that does is shore up our borders, and not allow someone to put a deer stand right on the corner of our existing property line.
Our Existing Property Lines.JPG

Fast forward a few months, the developer offered us a chance to purchase the 3.06 plus 22.54 acres of the 41 acre plat. The plan was to have my brother move up and build in the lower left corner of that 22 acres. However, he decided he would not move up from Florida. My issue is not the cost of the land, or the price. It's the fact that I don't have direct access to it, unless I cut a road in along the outside of the stream. We had it surveyed to give us plenty of room for the road, but the extra expense just to get back there is too much to take in. It's plenty wooded, TONS of deer, turkey, hog, etc... I'd LOVE to have 36 acres, but we are having to pass on the extra land. We did pick up that 3.06 and now our property line follows the center of the stream perfectly.

New Projected Property Lines.JPG

I know this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and they don't make any more dirt. Expanding our land like that would be awesome, but for the $230k it would cost me, I can buy a new CTL / Mini-Ex and make money. The 15 acres we are developing will keep me busy long until I can't do it anymore.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #38  
I live on the Mississippi River end of Kentucky. While not expensive it is no longer cheap to buy land around me.

The law seems to be if you want to zone it on it. Hence I bought land I didn't really want but I have 15 acre buffer zone :)

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #39  
seems to me raw undeveloped land has jumped way up in demand & price since covid lock downs, etc.
my real sympathy goes out to younger individuals who seem priced out of housing & rural land. in a way, they don't have the opportunity we did (& still do i guess)
in some ways we are leaving a tough world to get a start on land, housing, & raising a family.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #40  
Not sure where to post this, I'll try here.

10AC came up as a potential purchase, it's connected to where I live.

Love to have it, the cost is an astronomical @ $35K per.

I'm scrounging about how to get it to subsidize/justify the cost.

Not a place for food plot, cattle seems the only answer (might have a good cattle tank - no bets) . Initial research shows that wouldn't scratch the cost surface, market is poor (even for an experienced cattle rancher, let alone a nOOB - IDK)?

Thoughts, suggestions welcome and encouraged.
What are you going to do when someone else buys it and starts doing something with it?

You're gonna wish you had bought it and that $350k is going to seem cheap.

Offer the owner what you think it's worth and see what he says. You may be able to work something out.

Good luck!