How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I'm going to replace my #50 roller chain on a PTO snowblower. After it's on, a cover bolts on over it. What is the initial way to oil it before installation? I know after it's installed I'll spray with chain lube but what about before installation?

Do I soak in oil first? What kind? Motor oil? Chainsaw oil? No oil? Maybe just spray as it's initially running?

Any advice helpful. I haven't changed a roller chain in a long time and those were easy access where I could just keep soaking with chain lube in a spray can. This one is different because it's behind a cover and a hassle to access.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #2  
For the old British bikes the common practice was to put grease into a pan and melt it in an oven. Put your new chain into the grease so it could penetrate. Remove chain from grease and wipe off excess grease. An O ring chain would be cool but wouldn't fit many of the older bikes - the links are too wide.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #3  
A chain lasts longest running submerged in oil. Is the chain compartment sealed ? Can you tolerate a bit of oil leakage if not? Otherwise soak the chain in oil, then install it.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment
A chain lasts longest running submerged in oil. Is the chain compartment sealed ? Can you tolerate a bit of oil leakage if not? Otherwise soak the chain in oil, then install it.
Chain compartment not sealed but not easily accessible either.

What oil would you soak chain in prior to installation? Later I can spray chain lube on it at service intervals and that should be enough.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #5  
Initially most roller chain should come with adequate lube. If you want to add extra - use spray motorcycle chain lube. Spray both inside and outside surfaces.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #6  
My snowblower has a hole in the cover, were I can put the tip of the oil can in, and lube it, while it is slowly turning, at the lowest speed possible. Can you perhaps drill a hole in your cover, so you can do the same ?

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #7  
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just put it on and lube it.

My blower has the exposed chain, I bought it new in 2013. It is used almost daily with the snow we get here in the winter and I have never had to adjust or replace yet.

All I have ever done is spray it with motorcycle chain lube, chainsaw bar oil, Krown, Fluid Film or whatever else was in arms reach every time I get done blowing.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #8  
I would soak it in engine oil, install, then keep lubed with chain lubricant. Previous mention of drilling an access hole for lubing is a very good idea.
My chain is exposed, so I just spray with chain lube prior to each use.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment
My snowblower has a hole in the cover, were I can put the tip of the oil can in, and lube it, while it is slowly turning, at the lowest speed possible. Can you perhaps drill a hole in your cover, so you can do the same ?
Duh--why didn't I think of that?. Drill a hole.
I'll prelube with ag chain lube and stick a nozzle down the drilled hole every now and then.

Great answers from all. Thank you.

/ How to initially oil new roller chain on equipment #10  
I have a 10 year old spare chain in the shop, waiting for a failure. It's in a greased bag, so I'm guessing it's pre-lubed.

As for chain lube, I hit the original 25 year old snowblower chain with tacky bar oil 3 - 4 times a season, simply dripping an ounce or two on the chain as I hand turn the auger. It's worked well for me.