How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
Realizing this is a farm/tractor community, let me explain my motive. I am 75yo, retired, Viet Nam Vet, Army combat surgeon,(I think I sniffed Agent Orange) who would rather garden then walk a stupid golf course at 50 bucks a throw to smack that little white ball. I plant about 2 acres of almost all the vegetables and take the weekly pickings to 2 church kitchens, 1 convent, and 1 to 2 food banks to feed the needy. Of course my wife and I have to sample some of the produce for quality control. I did about 125 tomato plants this year and they did just great. I got a bad start this spring because the hydraulic pump in my Ford 8N went kaput and I spent a lot of time transferring the pump out of my burned out 9N. I also got great advice on repairing a Mott cutter-flailer, took almost forever when I wasn't hand watering because of a dry summer up here in Northern Ohio..
My dilemma is this. I live in town about 10 miles from my daughter's where I have the acreage and poll barn to work with. This is a 20 mile round trip six days a week from early April to last picking in mid October. My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 is averaging about 12-to 15 MPG, since I do mostly back roads and drive with about 25 to 40 MPH max with few stop lights. Trying to improve my fuel consumption, I started trying to resurrect an old 1975 Triumph TR6 I bought 10 years ago at a junk auction, thinking this small 2 seater with a small 6 cylinder would do just fine when I didn't need the truck.. I just learned that it does no better than 14MPG from a knowledgeable source.
Years and years back (1982) I ran across an article in Mechanix Illustrated on "5 Reasons to Build URBA Centurion, one of which was "Gets up to 128 MPG on Diesel Fuel".
My challenge to you who farm and garden as I do a few miles daily away from home, is there a small road vehicle that a very small fuel efficient engine can be installed. Many suggest a motorcycle or moped but I need a 4 wheel vehicle and one that has a weather cover. Also has to be street legal for license. I was thinking of a YUGO (size) chassis or an old VW Rabbitt? Anyone have suggestions? What vehicles are readily available in the junk yards (salvage, if you please) that can be easily converted?
Thank You

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel #2  
1980's VW Rabbit did have the diesel (50hp) and turbodiesel (70hp) option, from a 1.5 liter engine.
In europe we also had a Daihatsu charade with 1.2 liter turbodiesel, and currently VW offers a Lupo 3L, which can achieve 100km on 3 liter of fuel. thats 77.6 miles to the gallon, and guess what ?? the supposed 3L per 100km is only achieved at track conditions, you cant achieve that in the real world.

Unless you have a couple of million R&D budget to spend, you're not going to achieve 100mpg. And with that money spent, you will never break even.

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel #4  
Welcome home docrocky
Army Grunt
If you were in the hosp in vung-tau in 3/67 you may have worked on me:)

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel #5  
Hi
It is just not worth the cost and effort to convert and old "wreck" into an economical vehicle that will match a modern car economy.
We have a new for Ford Fiesta Econetic that gets around 70mpg with all modern safety and creature comforts you want. air bags/5star safety rating/air con/voice command to computer etc etc etc. More economical and "greener" than the Toyota Prius
Don't know if they are available in your location..........check them out
Bob

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel #7  
Buy an old chevy 3 cyl sprint, they get 50 mpg or so out of the box. The old Jetta diesels do similar. Even the old civic's did pretty well.

My sister had a sprint that she used like a pickup, back seats folded down, always piled full of feed or hay bales or sheep. Great little car.

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel #8  
A diesel VW Rabbit/Jetta will get you ~50MPG and you can get one for under $5k, but make sure that you run the numbers to see how long your payback time would be.
If you go from 12MPG to 50MPG at 20 miles/day, your fuel consumption will drop from 10 gallons per week, to 2.4 gallons per week.

If it cost you $5k for the car (assuming a newer one, older ones are running ~$2k) payback time with gas at $3.50, diesel at $3.75 and 20 miles per day, 6 days a week would be 313 weeks or just over 6 years.
If you got one for $2k payback time would be 125 weeks or 2.4 years.

Aaron Z

/ How to hybrid a road vehicle to do 100MPG Diesel
I have given serious consideration to the bicycle and the 20 mile round trip daily would give my cardiologist overwhelming joy BUT most people around here have no concept that a biker has any right to use a roadway. Also the snow and ice from November to mid March is a bit too challenging for my 75yo bod. Wife refuses to Winter in say South or Southwest, she has daily "personal summers" aka hot flashes in warm weather. I had a cardiac cath and contrast study several years back and after the injection you get "hot" all over, boy, then I could really understand what she and other women folk go thru several times a day.
Rocky