How to get started reloading ammunition

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #91  
I've got some loading data just for Garands. I know for sure they are designed for 150 grain bullets.

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #92  
here is a forum that has some good info The Handloaders Bench

my apology if it has already been posted

I use a Dillon RL550 for the pistols and a single stage RCBS setup with Redding dies for the long range toys.

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #93  
Any update as to whether the original poster has chosen which path he's going to take...???

Since I'm fairly new to reloading (little over a year). I'll voice my opinion in case a future reloader reads this thread. A little over a year ago, I was asking the same questions. I was given the same advise and had several private message from members that were concerned for my safety since I've never reloaded before. I did actually with what information was given to me. I bought several manuals and read until I had a good idea what it took to reload in a safe manor. For me, I was not happy with what was being offered in the kits. Looked at all of the reviews on youtube about all of the kits that were being offered to future reloaders. So, I started buying piece by piece. I ended up with a Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press, Lee Dies, RCBS powder dispenser and a RCBS powder scale. Was very happy with what I bought. Plus, I bought everything else that it took to reload and clean the cases. Reloaded several and I mean several thousand rounds and ended up not being able to keep up with my shooting habits. I had the components, but, just could not keep ammo on hand. The more I reloaded, the mooooooore I shot. I "never planned" to shoot this much. Since, I had the means to reload my own ammo, the shooting spree took off like a virus. I couldn't control myself. I was having so much fun shooting and meeting new shooters like myself. I knew I had to do something about it. So, I started researching progressive loaders and to make this a short story. I ended up with a Dillon RL550B press set-up. I bought all of the quick change kits for all of my calibers. The only thing that I didn't buy from Dillon was the die's. I still use my Lee die's. Didn't have a problem with them on a single stage press and I still don't have a problem reloading with them on a progressive press. Believe me, once you have the means to reload, your shooting habits will increase. I have gotten so deep into reloading and shooting, that I'm in the process of building a range for myself. Heck, my wife now shoot's with me. She thinks her XD-9mm (I reload low recoil ammo for her) is the cats meow until I pull out one of my big grain magnum guns. Ok, I'm getting off-topic. Anyways, I wish I had done more research about single stage and progressive reloaders. The Dillon RL550B can be a single stage press, a turrent press and a progressive press. You just have to understand the basic's about reloading. Now, I still have my Lee press, which I use for decapping and use for load development. I can use the progressive but I find it fun and rather relaxing to use the single stage for decapping and R&D per load data. Plus, I don't want to get my progressive press dirty while decapping. I stainless steel wet tumble all of my brass and this gives me the chance to inspect all of my cases for defects. Plus I can wet tumble from a few 100 to several thousand cases (that includes rifle as well). I have several containers that I use in my process.

Ok, my advise, read, read and read as many manuals as you can. Then, watch youtube reviews and make your decision from there. Put it this way, if you go single stage first, and then feel your ready for a progressive press. No harm, cause you will find your way back to a single stage sometimes. Believe me, this hobby is very rewarding and verrrrry much addictive. Have fun and be safe...!!! :)

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #94  
Just a few pictures to tease the OP.

My video wet stainless steel tumbling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5K84hNa7bE

1000 Rounds In Ammo Can.jpg45acp Brass II.jpgTumbling Barrels IV.jpgReloading III.jpg

Last edited:
   / How to get started reloading ammunition #95  
My current setup (Dillon RL550B).

WP_20131201_001.jpg

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #96  
a74011.jpg

i need to get an updated pic.. but here's an early one. i've since added a couple more presses and 2 more tall shelves on the next table, plus a desk. tot he left .. anyway. old pic.. but...

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #97  
The more I reloaded, the mooooooore I shot. I "never planned" to shoot this much. Since, I had the means to reload my own ammo, the shooting spree took off like a virus. I couldn't control myself. I was having so much fun shooting and meeting new shooters like myself. I knew I had to do something about it. So, I started researching progressive loaders and to make this a short story. I ended up with a Dillon RL550B press set-up.

Yep, all true:) that is why I suggested and Dillon RL550B to start with:laughing: Just get it over with and get a good progressive and start cranking out the rounds to feed your habit:)

James K0UA

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #98  
Just a few pictures to tease the OP.

My video wet stainless steel tumbling.
Wet Tumbling 45acp Brass Part 2 - YouTube

Are those gallon glass jars you are using? Did you later switch to the PVC tubes? I kinda wandered off from wet tumbling until I can figure out something a little bigger than what I have (paint can sized). With that speed it looks like you are getting plenty of tumble. Is there something inside that helps tumble the brass? In the video it looks like something is on the inside. What HP motor are you using?

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #99  
What most don't know is, a Dillon RL550B, can be three presses. A single stage, a turrent press and a progressive. A future reloader has a choose if they go with a Dillon RL550B. People complain about the price/$$$, but I don't think they understand what there getting. Yes, I'm being biased here, but, I have first hand experience here (if I didn't, I wouldn't be pushing it). Buy once, cry once.... not me...!!!! Every time I use mine, I see first hand what it can do and what it's doing for me. Every time I go to a gun show and see vendors selling ammo for a large profit, I just laugh. :laughing:

/ How to get started reloading ammunition #100  
Are those gallon glass jars you are using? Did you later switch to the PVC tubes? I kinda wandered off from wet tumbling until I can figure out something a little bigger than what I have (paint can sized). With that speed it looks like you are getting plenty of tumble. Is there something inside that helps tumble the brass? In the video it looks like something is on the inside. What HP motor are you using?
Yes, they are pickle glass jars, but, I stopped using the gallon glass jars cause they started cracking over time. I now use green waist type PVC pipe (from Lowes). They have three plastic paddles in them.