How to get a pasture to bare dirt?

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #71  
The tiller route isn't wrong, but you really do need to compact it down afterwards, otherwise, you will get uneven settling, and your right back to where you started.
It's wrong if the rocks haven't been cleaned up, unless you don't mind destroying a tiller.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #72  
I believe you mean cheap and effective route. Shame on everyone who would suggest a cheap and effective method to do something. Now; if the OP had said he refused to use modern technology, yep, get you 4 mules and a turn plow, and turn it 3 times, and wait 3 seasons of rain to level it out.

Seeds are already there, and your best bet is to kill them with a herbicide. You Can turn plow them, but you will be fighting invasive/native vegs for years, and in the end, you'll resort to spot spraying at the least.

Use precautions, but herbicides are used on every road, sidewalk, farm (minus the 0.1% organic ones), ect. Be smart, but use the tools available.
I am not shaming anyone, I support farmers to spray if that is what they want to do. I am saying it is the lazy route and that it is POISON they are putting down. In my opinion it is harmful for all life from microbes, to bacteria, to fungi, to insects, to humans. I think it is completely unnecessary to use to feed the planet. We will be seeing if we are all still here in 2050 how much all of the "cides" effect people through cancer

By using it you are supporting MONSANTO, HELLO!!???

The OP is just trying to put a acre into grass why the heck would you put poison down- grass is easy! It is not like he is trying to grow row crops.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #73  

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #74  
On an acre or so, I'd go for the tiller. You can do it two or three passes in a pretty short time. After tilling, some sort of final levelling has to be done. I like those heavy wire screen drags. They seem to do a pretty good job one small properties.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #75  
The guy that farms across the road farms 4600 acres. He doesn't have time to pull weeds out of his corn and bean fields.
I remember as a kid pulling weeds that the cultivator didn't get and recall when dad started using herbicide. It seemed like it was the best invention since toilet paper. Dad made it to 93 and handled a lot of herbicides. He never used any gloves or ppe either.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #76  
The guy that farms across the road farms 4600 acres. He doesn't have time to pull weeds out of his corn and bean fields.
I remember as a kid pulling weeds that the cultivator didn't get and recall when dad started using herbicide. It seemed like it was the best invention since toilet paper. Dad made it to 93 and handled a lot of herbicides. He never used any gloves or ppe either.
I don't disagree with you about your father, but when he started glysophates and other chemicals have not had the accumulative effects yet. Near us we are having wells testing positive with roundup. We also have a very high rate of cancers, especially around the farm areas. It is a problem for certain. Perhaps, not where you are though.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #77  
I would think again about plowing. Flipping the sod makes for a really rough field to get leveled up. You follow that with discing at angles close to perpendicular to the furrows. Schedule a dental appointment after you are done cuz it will jar your teeth. Spray it down and disc it if you can. Maybe follow with a tiller but letting it overwinter to breakdown some organic matter would help. If you have a farmer friend, ask about Sencor. Usually no survivors.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #78  
A lot of farmers would just turn it with a one bottom plow. Let it sit for the grass to die a bit and then disc it. I have reservations that 33hp will handle a two bottom plow.
Here is my Kubota L2800 pulling a 12" 2-bottom plow. The ground hasn't been farmed in at least 10+ years and I'm running in 4th low. It's turning and burning.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #79  
Thats surprising he only saw a 30% drop in yield.

But to say farmers want to maximize yield is not really correct.

ITs about money period. Its about maximizing PROFIT.

And every farmers COST is different so there is no one solution fits all.

But no-till + chemical is fewer hours on equipment, less time in the fields, can farm more acreage, and big yields. Organic requires working the ground before planting usually, multiple cultivations, still fighting weeds, and lower yields. So you're trading the chemical expense for fuel. And you can farm less acres.

And with current world population and consumption, I really dont think we could sustain organic farming on a mass scale. Just look at the turmoil if global corn, beans, or wheat production drop by as little a 5%. Prices of things start to skyrocket.

Now imagine if EVERYTHING was organic and as a country (or world) we lost 30-40% of our bean or corn production in a give year?
If it was truly about maximizing profits, the best thing to do would be for all of the farmers to cut back on their production (and costs) in order to drive the prices up. In saying that, I'm intentionally taking the concept to an extreme that's not really feasible. My point is that, in the grand scheme of things, maximizing yields has worked against most farmers. They are getting more bushels per acre, but the increased supply keeps the costs low. That said, when diesel is $4/gal or more, it makes it really difficult to cost justify taking equipment out in the field any more often than you absolutely have to.

I may just be ignorant, but I'm not convinced that the price of things is actually impacted by global production quantities. My opinion is that it's a lot like the cost of fuel. The powers that be will use any excuse they can to drive up the price at the pump in order to put more money in their pocket, meanwhile the gas station owner (or farmer) is only making a few pennies on the dollar. The big money is made by folks who have nothing to do with getting fuel out of the ground and into your vehicle, or getting the crops in the ground and food on our table.

/ How to get a pasture to bare dirt? #80  
One thing you have to keep in mind; capital investment, on equipment and land. That land costs the same $ per acre, if your production X or X-30%; that tractor, planter, custom harvest (I assume they work by the acre, not yield, but I could be wrong). Even if the land was free, the opportunity cost is still a factor. Now, like any business, if you can make the same money, with less input, and no additional expense, go for it.

Let's take cattle: there is room for low density, cow-calf to finisher; feed lots; 100% grass feed; mixed hay/cattle; whatever works; But keep in mind, just cause one way Works, doesn't mean there isn't a more efficient way also Also, what works for one guy, in one geographic area, might be complete idiocy in another area.

IF a farmer can get a workable profit, and use less chemicals, good on him. I also won't damn a guy for using 100% of the technology available to ensure a better future for his and his kid's agribusiness. One size never fits all. Herbicides, I'm not scared at all; but if there was an equally fast/effective/cheap alternative, I'm for that too.

For the OP, I feel a spray would be cheapest/most effective/fastest; but I'm willing to be wrong too.