How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
This is my third year raising them alone, and will be my last if it doesn稚 go better than the last two. I dug a trench to back the truck into so that the tailgate was even with the ground and put their food into it. They promptly dug out so that there痴 a 6 rise, and they can step up that high. They are scheduled to go tomorrow, when I get home from work tonight I will raise the front of the truck to bring the tailgate back down. My neighbor who knows everything tells me to put a bucket over their head and push them backwards... that works as well as tickling a trout痴 belly to catch him. Know doubt he will be over tomorrow, sitting in his truck watching so that for the next year he can tell me everything I did wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 383
   / How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #2  
Oh my, I have one of " those" neighbors. Sorry to hear that.

I like your plan on loading the pigs. Only other alternative is build a loading chute.

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #3  
First thing I'd do is tell the neighbor a different day. Then do it when he's not around. I never care for an audience when I know I'm going to look like a monkey doing a football.

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #4  
Your neighbor is correct with the bucket trick. You don't have to push them either, just guide them as they will try to back out of the bucket. I never would have believed this either but I have seen it work. My Uncle needed to load some hogs. He had them in a pen with a loading chute and had his truck backed up the chute. He tried to chase them up the chute and eventually added a hot stick to the mix but still failed. My Dad asked him if he wanted him to load the hogs. My Uncle who was exhausted by this time said sure if you think you can.

My Dad took an empty 5 gallon bucket and went into the pen. He let the hogs settle down and then slipped the bucket over one's head. The hog started backing up and my Dad simply steered him up the chute and into the truck. He repeated the process until all were loaded making it look easy.

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #5  
Your neighbor is correct with the bucket trick. You don't have to push them either, just guide them as they will try to back out of the bucket. I never would have believed this either but I have seen it work. My Uncle needed to load some hogs. He had them in a pen with a loading chute and had his truck backed up the chute. He tried to chase them up the chute and eventually added a hot stick to the mix but still failed. My Dad asked him if he wanted him to load the hogs. My Uncle who was exhausted by this time said sure if you think you can.

My Dad took an empty 5 gallon bucket and went into the pen. He let the hogs settle down and then slipped the bucket over one's head. The hog started backing up and my Dad simply steered him up the chute and into the truck. He repeated the process until all were loaded making it look easy.

My uncle raised pigs and this is how he did it. I watched him do it. Was really easy. Let your neighbor show you how.

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #6  
Over here, pig breeders (right term?) wait till it's dark, then they simply use a flashlight and just wake to the truck. The pigs will follow the light. They load hundreds of pigs this way on big trucks.

This is also the same way that thieves will steal hundreds of pigs...

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone
Over here, pig breeders (right term?) wait till it's dark, then they simply use a flashlight and just wake to the truck. The pigs will follow the light. They load hundreds of pigs this way on big trucks.

This is also the same way that thieves will steal hundreds of pigs...
I will have to try that... reinforced with a little molasses. They have to be getting hungry. Right now I’m making some modifications to the pen, as they are skittish. I should have started this two weeks ago, so that it was more familiar to them. The problem is that they both need to be in at the same time, and I only get one try as they’re too smart to do it twice.
I tried the bucket two years ago but they wouldn’t let me get near them with it.

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone
Now I just need to let them get used to it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 232
   / How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #9  
Did you try getting them drunk first? Works around here.......

/ How to get (2) 300lb pigs into the back of the truck alone #10  
When I was a teenager I raised hogs for a 4H project over several years. Made bunch of money for a kid. I had registered breeding stock and the culls raised for market. Never hauled in a PU. Always used a large stock trailer. I starved them for 2 days and they followed the food right up the ramp. Some Boars got a little feisty now and then, like Mike Dad went and got a gallon of cheap wine and we fed that with some food (slops) and they mellowed right down and followed the sows like they were after a little.

Ron