How to disassemble a PTO yoke?

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I need to replace one end of a PTO yoke. I got the retaining clips off but how do I get the cross member out of the yoke? Are the crosses spring loaded? I have tried putting a socket on the end of the cross and hitting it with a hammer but it wont budge. Do I need to put it in a vice and squeeze slowly? It is very rusty.

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #2  
An arbor press works best, but a vice should work.

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #3  
First of all you need to get a third hand, and a fourth isn't a waste either..:)

Put a large deep socket or pipe on the end you're pressing out first, it should be large enough to allow the cup to come out past the flats on the socket, but still support the edge of the yoke securely. I used a vise the last time, an arbor press IS better but either will work.

Then put a smaller socket on the other cup, small enough that it is smaller diameter than the cup and squeeze the vise together.

It may stick a bit at first, then will usually break free and move smoothly. If it's really rusty, as you say, get as much of the rust off the yoke as you can to allow the first cup to go past without jamming.

One word of caution, if it's really tight for some reason, it's possible to bend the yoke together, which gets expensive. It may not bend much, but any amount is too much, the yoke will bind afterwards.

I had to straighten one recently that was bent open, I got lucky and it works fine.

Sean

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke?
So you push the cross through the yoke until the caps clear. Then take the caps off to get the cross free from the yoke. Is this correct? I am just trying to understand how these things are actually put together.

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #5  
What will usually happen is that the bearing cup with the large socket will come out first, then you can pick the trunnion (cross) clear. The end of the trunnion presses against the inside of the bearing cup so the seals aren't damaged. Tap or press the remaining cup out and you're finished. Sometimes the last cup will have to go back out the other side if there's not enough room in the middle.

It's hard to get one really screwed up, the worst are the ones that don't have clips originally. With those you either have to install clips in the yokes, or buy the whole universal.

Sean

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #6  
I have found with very difficult ones that after you put pressure on it with the vise and sockets it helps to take a large hammer and hit the front of the vise. The shock will start the cups moving.

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #7  
Also ... Use a penetrating oil and wire brush to clean the rust away from the areas the caps will slide thru.
larry

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #8  
I have a similar problem. I picked up a very hardy 5' rotary cutter. It was used by the State of Michigan for road side cutting. Very heavy duty and shielded. It has been sitting for several years. I want to replace the pto shaft. I thought it would be easiest to take out the mower end yoke as the end that slides onto the round shaft on the mower end is held fast and unable to move with heat and muscle.
MY question is this. How do you know which 2 cups are the ones that come out? Do all of them and you just pick 2?

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #9  
Usually easier to press out the shaft ones first, then you'll only have that unwieldy shaft in the way for one pair. That's my preference, anyway.
Jim

/ How to disassemble a PTO yoke? #10  
Thanks for the question. I am working on the same issue with our Polaris Magnum front prop shaft. Finding them at NAPA was a snap. We have removed the internal retaining clips BUT the caps are TIGHT. Working off of a stump that is handy.