how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #11  
yes to the 2 above posts, esp given the smaller size garden plot

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #12  
Second the mulch! Card board two layers thick. Then as much wood chips and grass clippings, spoiled hay and straw as you can get. 6 inches deep is not too much!
Pull back and make small holes in the mulch to plant seeds or seedlings. Some plants won't tolerate coming through the mulch (paths for critters) some will. Get to know what you are planting.

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #13  
I have had a garden for years and the best way to supress(you can't stop them) weeds is a thick mulch that weakens weeds growing through it, that fortnightly weeding is plenty .
Bonus, mulch holds moisture and reduces irrigation requirement. Win, win

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #14  
On the lighter side (not really, this is a dead serious issue)

Introduce Asian Jumping Worms to the garden spot. They will "consume" the top three inches of organic rich soil and leave crumbly castings that allow weeds to be pulled with just a tug of the fingers.

Ask me how I know this.

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #15  
nothing like home gardens. whats not to like about an $18 ear of corn.

after years of fighting weeds, the wife is insisting on me building her four cinder block raised beds for her gardens. $$$$ plus added benefits of a sore back for months to come

sure looking forward to spring.

but maybe im too cynical.

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #17  
On the lighter side (not really, this is a dead serious issue)

Introduce Asian Jumping Worms to the garden spot. They will "consume" the top three inches of organic rich soil and leave crumbly castings that allow weeds to be pulled with just a tug of the fingers.

Ask me how I know this.
Please realize this was (hopefully) a facetious comment. They also destroy the soil, and supposedly are almost impossible to get rid off.

I would first run the tiller across the garden spot, going down about 4 inches. Then have your daughters rake the sod off and put it into the compost pile.
You can also use the plastic mentioned about to plant on. Not only will it keep the weeds away but it warms the soil sooner in the spring. You also can get a porous fabric mulch. This fall I spread sawdust in the rows between my strawberries. I realize it will affect the pH and nutrient composition but I can address that when I have to.

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #18  
Please realize this was (hopefully) a facetious comment. They also destroy the soil, and supposedly are almost impossible to get rid off.

I would first run the tiller across the garden spot, going down about 4 inches. Then have your daughters rake the sod off and put it into the compost pile.
You can also use the plastic mentioned about to plant on. Not only will it keep the weeds away but it warms the soil sooner in the spring. You also can get a porous fabric mulch. This fall I spread sawdust in the rows between my strawberries. I realize it will affect the pH and nutrient composition but I can address that when I have to.
To re-enforce Jstpssng

These worms are something else. I'm not sure what one can do. They do NOT destroy the soil, i.e. the castings are nutrient rich, just as European worm castings are. But, the Asian worms are so voracious and prolific as to alter the soil structure, to a point of "crumbliness", not suited to shallow rooted plants. There are areas in my back woods that have ZERO viable plant growth on the surface! All the leaf mold and duff having been consumed. Distressing!

It might be noted that there are NO native earth worms in North America. Glaciation had killed them all off. European earth worms were introduced with the first immigrants. With those species seemingly beneficial these past 500 years.
I would like to know how the locals in Japan and Korea respond to these "newly introduced" "Jumping Worms".
They are tough skinned and can certainly wriggle!

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #19  
nothing like home gardens. whats not to like about an $18 ear of corn.

after years of fighting weeds, the wife is insisting on me building her four cinder block raised beds for her gardens. $$$$ plus added benefits of a sore back for months to come

sure looking forward to spring.

but maybe im too cynical.
Yes, you are.
If you built the beds well they should spare your back (and hers) many years, or for as long as you use them.

/ how to best prepare garden from grass covered sod and weed seeds #20  
You could try using the metal tanks form TS and set them
on the cement blocks a lot quicker and not so hard on the
back plus its a lot faster to do:unsure:

willy