How to back up a pivoting axle trailer

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #121  
This!

Airplanes are the same way. You tow them from the nose wheel, which pivots just like a hay wagon front axle. You face the airplane and push it into just about anyplace you want. If you try that with the rear hitch on the tug, forget about it.

I guess I'm not the only one who used to move airplanes. I always thought the airplanes were easy to move, short wheelbase tug and hitch in the front made it pretty easy.

With it hooked up to the back, just have to remember to turn the steering wheel opposite than you would with a trailer. A shorter wheelbase tow vehicle makes backing easier. With a wagon, it's like backing up with two trailers.

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #122  
It's a wagon, not a trailer. (who cares, right?)

The fastest way to backup a wagon is to put a hitch on the front of the tractor and back it up driving the tractor forward.

That is the best way to back a wagon

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #123  
They can be backed up, I have one. You steer it the exact opposite of a fixed axle trailer. It takes a lot more room and practice. The response is a lot slower as you have to move the tongue of the steering axle a lot to make a turn. Backing straight up is not too bad but turns take practice.
To back a trailer: Put your hands on the bottom of the wheel, and move your hand the direction you want to move the back of the trailer.

When you add a pivot point (aka the wagon), you move your hand to the top of the wheel, and move your hand the direction you want the back of the wagon to go.

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #124  
The military calls mine a “trailer”

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpeg
    IMG_1457.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
   / How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #125  
…and I recommend avoiding backing up if at all possible.

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #128  
I say it can't be done. I used to try; I don't bother any more.

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #129  
Practice, preferably out of view. This type of trailer/wagon is common in Europe as 3 way dumpers. There are Unimog utube examples of skilful backing - one old timer backs one of these around a knoll,up a hill, and up ramps into the back of a second one for storage. One try. Truck drivers backing B trains pull off some amazing manipulation. Nothing more painful than a newbie backing a trailer, especially when you’re the one in the driver seat, and we all start at the beginning. Adding an audience will guarantee a poor performance. If you decide to sell the trailer let me know lol.

/ How to back up a pivoting axle trailer #130  
Sell it and buy one without that extra pivot point. Problem solved. Actually, not solved, just moved to another unsuspecting person.