How so I lube key locks for cold weather?

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #1  

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
I'm torn between using graphite and WD-40. It seems that many years ago I tried graphite in a little applicator and it didn't work out too well. I seem to remember a locksmith using WD-40 for a car door lock. The possible problem with WD-40 may be freezing. The winter temperatures around her range from the low 20's to high 30's. But there's occasional nights in the single digits.
I'm open to advice.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #2  
If you think you must lube a lock I would keep the application minimal. I have had good luck by spraying the locks key lightly with wd-40 and then working the lock repeatedly with it. This applies the lube to the tumblers w/o making a mess or overdoing it.
I have never worried about any lock unless it seems troublesome.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #3  
wd 40 has never impressed me much with long term moisture protection. it seems to not stick so good for the long haul. i use just plain motor oil squirt out of oil can to get oil into locks and key holes. the motor oil seems to stay on longer/work longer and has worked good for me. squirt oil in and work key and all other componets of the lock. just a thought, i have heard transmission fluid has rust inhibitors in it, maybe that would work better then motor oil.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #4  
Try using Panef Corp. LL-40 Lock Lubricant or AGS Lock-Ease Graphited Lock Fluid. I believe the Panef is also a graphite based lubricant, so that seems to the way to go. I think ACE Hardware carries the AGS, the Panef can be ordered through Amazon. MasterLock also sells their own lock lubricant. Just Google "lock lubricant" for some more info.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #5  
wd 40 has never impressed me much with long term moisture protection. it seems to not stick so good for the long haul. i use just plain motor oil squirt out of oil can to get oil into locks and key holes. the motor oil seems to stay on longer/work longer and has worked good for me. squirt oil in and work key and all other componets of the lock. just a thought, i have heard transmission fluid has rust inhibitors in it, maybe that would work better then motor oil.

I've never had a problem with WD40. I've used it on combination locks over the winter and they rotate just fine all the way into spring. The other benefit is that if you put the key in the lock and then in your pocket, the fish oil base won't leave a lasting stain. Petroleum products could.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #7  
About once or twice a year, I use a small amount of graphite in our front door lock. It seems to always work with no additional problems. I keep a small tube of powdered graphite on hand that I bought at Walmart.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #8  
Try Fluid Film. It will not freeze.

There is a discussion in another thread that mentions it.

"Will FLUID FILM work in locks?
FLUID FILM works very well in locks. FLUID FILM will provide long term lubrication in a lock assembly. In cold weather applications, FLUID FILM will keep locks from freezing, and since FLUID FILM contains no solvent, it will not get gummy or create a build-up of dirt. Do not over-apply; a light application is all that is necessary."

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #9  
A locksmith told me years ago that graphite collects dirt and moisture so he would only use WD40 which dissipates moisture and rises out dirt. I have several padlocks that are outside all year long and usually once a year I will spray them with WD40 and I have had no problems with them sticking or freezing.

/ How so I lube key locks for cold weather? #10  

WD-40 washes out too quickly.

What I've used for years is motorcycle chain lube. It's a very sticky grease mixed with alcohol. It sprays in like WD-40 but then the alcohol evaporates and it becomes grease again. I use it in the locks (where the key goes), the latches, and the hinges. Hood latch too. Lasts a long time.

White lithium spray grease would work similarly.