How much trouble would I get in for doing this?

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
Taking one of these signs and adding it to a bed extender to permanently warn of the extra length:

image_slow_vehicle_sign.jpg

To one of these (bed extender):

013w.jpg

If it's not a good idea or has dire consequences (i.e. major fines or whatever), what's a good alternative to plastic flags to meet the 1 foot square (144 sq. in) requirement for warning.

ETA: These are not my pics, just some I picked off the net.

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #2  
I don't know the law, but my gut tells me it's a bad idea.

The slow moving vehicle sign was designed to convey a very specific message. This is not your message.

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #4  
Some states you can get a ticket for using the SMV sign on either something faster than 25mph or something stationary.

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #5  
I'd tie a red rag on it and roll!

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #6  
Yup key words being slow moving... Not a good idea.

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #7  
I think your boat is red enough :laughing:. Seriously, I would tie a red piece of cloth on it if I were worried and go. I have a kayak trailer and they hang way over the back. I never tie anything on it. I have pulled it all over Florida without ever being stopped.

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #8  
Some states limit the length that can extend past the bumper to 1/3 the wheel base.

A local carpet company was cited for having 12' rolls of carpet extending too far out the back... he had to buy new Dodge Maxivans to be in compliance.

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this?
I think your boat is red enough :laughing:. Seriously, I would tie a red piece of cloth on it if I were worried and go. I have a kayak trailer and they hang way over the back. I never tie anything on it. I have pulled it all over Florida without ever being stopped.

I edited my post to make clear that that isn't my boat - but you're right, I think I could argue that I more than meet the 144" rule with it!

Ok, the slow moving sign doesn't sound like a good idea, fair enough. And really, I got the flag bit down, but I want something more permanent to go with the extender and more eye catching.

Although one good use for a flag would be to hang it off the horizontal piece on a small pole so I could see it in my rear view mirror to remind me that I have 3-4 feet hanging off my rear end.

Thanks for the ideas, keep'em coming!

/ How much trouble would I get in for doing this? #10