How Much Should I Charge?

/ How Much Should I Charge? #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I did a search for this, as I remember seeing a thread similar about it in the past, but couldn't find it. Besides, it really didn't seem to apply to me at the time, so I really didn't pay attention.
However, times have changed.

How much money should I charge people for my time, fuel, wear and tear, etc?

Since word has gotten around that I have a tractor with several different implements, people in my neighborhood, people I have yet to meet, are asking to hire me and my tractor for various tasks. New neighbors who just bought 10 acres down the road, want to hire me to mow their lot before building on it. Old lady down the road would like me to remove an old stump in her yard with my backhoe. Another neighbor, a friend, needs me to move a pile of brush and grade out the potholes in his driveway. Yet another person, who I don't know, texted me last night (got my number from another neighbor) and asked if I could come over and till his yard so he could replant it, but dont need me till the fall. And the list keeps growing.

So far, they have all offered to pay me, but that is as far as the conversation has gone with talk of compensation. I have yet to do any work for any of them (though most want me over sometime this week or next) except for the ones I did work for last year. One neighbor, who I mowed a field for, paid me $400 for two days of work. We didn't negotiate a price, he just paid me that. Another neighbor who I did some mowing and grading for didnt pay me anything (but we help each other with other things).

I am not looking to make this a full time business (although that would be great, but probably not feasible since I do not have a good way to transport my tractor over long distances (on a trailer)). I also have a full time job, so many of these tasks will need to be done in the evenings or weekends. Which means, that takes time away from my family, hobbies, and projects.

I dont mind helping those who need or want my help, especially if they are talking about compensation. But should I set an hourly limit? A project minimum (X amount to even have me show up regardless of work)? Or do I bid the job in advance? Or all three? How much should I charge for my time, fuel, and wear? Should I charge differently for type of work preformed (ex: mowing vs backhoe)? Should I write it up in a contract? What should that look like if so? Or should I just do the work and see what they offer to pay?

What are your thoughts? Do you charge people for your time and efforts?

/ How Much Should I Charge? #2  
$65-$75 for me, but I say no to more than I take on. I'd rather have the family time myself. You can't buy that back.

/ How Much Should I Charge? #3  
$65-$75 for me, but I say no to more than I take on. I'd rather have the family time myself. You can't buy that back.

I would say that’s about where I would be. And develop the ability to say no when you don’t want to spare the time or the job is unappealing. There’s great freedom in that skill.

/ How Much Should I Charge? #4  
I help people for free when it's a twenty minute or half hour job. It's fun and entertaining, plus just nice to help out.

Bigger jobs, and you should get paid appropriately. The man, should get paid,as well as the equipment/maintenance costs. In the end, you could have a worn out, sloppy machine with hours on it, and never got much more than your time as an operator. That does not make sense to me.

Regions are different, but I would not drive out the gate, if I could not make $75.00 or more an hour. And that is still giving your services away. I charge more than that, for me and my (electronic) tool case!

Hiring out me and my equipment actually makes sense only from a taxation point of view. I get to expense my equipment, which is worth more than the paltry income.

Last edited:
   / How Much Should I Charge? #5  
Ten years ago I did some mowing and tractor work for people and charged $50 an hour that included the time to drive to their location. After awhile, I realized that it wasn't enough money to make it worthwhile and I haven't done it since. I thought about charging more to make it worthwhile, but then factored in everything that I would have to do, and pay, and maintain to do this and just didn't want to deal with it at any price. It's not just the loading up the tractor and hauling it there, or the prep work of the tractor and trailer, or the repairs that have to be done right away to be ready to work for others, it was mostly dealing with what they wanted done on their land that always added up to so much more then just simple tractor work. Dealing with garbage, weed eating in some cases, animals and livestock that they had, nosy neighbors, chit chat time, and expectations of what a bush hog field should look like compared to their front yard lawn. After you break a few things on your tractor, the thrill of making money with it starts to fade fairly quickly. At least it did for me.

/ How Much Should I Charge? #6  
My first snowblowing for a neighbour and their stupid (quaint) meandering driveway, with my brand new Lucknow blower. Picked up a stone and broke the chain. Seems something always breaks when working for others.

NEVER, EVER do quoted jobs. True. The chit-chat and not being ready for you , will come out of YOUR pay cheque! Then, you can relax, making your hourly rate, as they scurry and try and get ready for you.

In fact. It's not a bad idea to ask them what time it is, when you arrive. That way, later you don't have different thinking as to when you showed up.

Last edited:
   / How Much Should I Charge? #7  
Don't forget to figure in the cost of commercial insurance if you're charging for your services, and registering for a USDOT number to display on your tow vehicle if you're over 10k# and hauling across state lines.

/ How Much Should I Charge? #8  
Really, if the neighbours hire you, it should be because you are convenient and good, NOT because they perceive you as CHEAP. Or because they just happen to like you.

Working too cheap also hurts the contractors who have to make a living.

/ How Much Should I Charge? #9  
Really, if the neighbours hire you, it should be because you are convenient and good, NOT because they perceive you as CHEAP. Or because they just happen to like you.

Working too cheap also hurts the contractors who have to make a living.

Excellent point.

/ How Much Should I Charge? #10  
I am not one for insurance. But, if your bush hog puts a stone through a four thousand dollar insulunit, you are going to pay for that. And be darned happy that no one was injured.