Ballast How Much Ballast

/ How Much Ballast #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
According to specs, my Montana R2844 FEL will lift 2,360lbs to 59" and 1,585lbs to 90". The 3 point hitch can lift 2,619lbs at the ends.

The heaviest loads I lift are around 1400-1500lbs which is an IBC cage of green oak firewood. I currently have 5' King Kutter II rototiller as ballast, which is about 650lbs. When I lift the firewood cages, seems like there is still a lot of weight on the front axle, I leave ruts in the grass.

Would 1,000 lbs or 1,500 lbs ballast be the right weight? 2,000 lbs?

/ How Much Ballast #2  
Suggest you just start adding weights to the rototiller until it feels right lifting and driving with the firewood cages. In general, if you want to maintain the balance of your tractor with a 1,500 pound weight in front, you need a 1,500 pound weight in back. With this, there will be about an extra 1,500+ pounds on the front axle when moving the wood. If you want to lighten the front as much as possible as not to leave ruts in your yard and keep the weight on the bigger rears, max out your 3pt. I've used up to the max my 3pt would lift as ballast before, nothing wrong with that. If your front end points towards the sky, you've used too much ballast! ;)

/ How Much Ballast #3  
Also if you have a bush hog use that instead. The length will act as a lever and give you effectively more weight on the back. Of course you then have to account for the extra length and if you are working in close spaces that might not be a good thing. My NH will only lift about 1000 lbs. The bush hog weighs in at around 500lbs. But with the advantage of leverage it does a good job keeping the rear tires planted.

/ How Much Ballast #4  
Got water in your rear tires? It helps. For me, I don't think a specific number would help. It all comes down to trial and error and what feels right.

/ How Much Ballast #5  
I've got Rimguard in my rear tires - 750#/tire and a 1000# rear blade sticking out back. This allows me to pick the heaviest object on my property - big chunk of Ponderosa pine - 2500# - with no difficulties. I had a front tire go into a unseen hole once while lifting/moving a P. pine log. I had the log about two feet off the ground. Believe me, now heavy loads like that clear the ground by no more than an inch or two, at most.

/ How Much Ballast #6  
:)TractorData.com specs your Montana/LS R2844 bare tractor weight at 2,645 pounds. Loader adds more forward weight.
TractorData.com Montana R2844 tractor information

It seems improbable a 2,645 pound tractor could lift 2,360 pounds to 59". Is your tractor model correctly shown?

( I have been wrong from time-to-time; maybe again.) :)

Last edited:
   / How Much Ballast #7  
My Kubota is a 45 hp tractor. Don't remember the total weight with loader and filled tires but think it is around 4500#. The loader is rated at 1500#, the 3 pt is rated at a measly 800-900 pounds. I've lifted plenty of stuff close to the loader's top rating and it is not fun or easy. Cannot imagine a 2500 pound tractor lifting 2000 pounds!

/ How Much Ballast #8  
According to specs, my Montana R2844 FEL will lift 2,360lbs to 59" and 1,585lbs to 90". The 3 point hitch can lift 2,619lbs at the ends.

The heaviest loads I lift are around 1400-1500lbs which is an IBC cage of green oak firewood. I currently have 5' King Kutter II rototiller as ballast, which is about 650lbs. When I lift the firewood cages, seems like there is still a lot of weight on the front axle, I leave ruts in the grass.

Would 1,000 lbs or 1,500 lbs ballast be the right weight? 2,000 lbs?

I have a 45 HP tractor with filled tires and use a 800-900# weight and works great. I had a 1500" Ballast Box and worked but seemed to heavy and really squatted the rear, it seems. Gave it away and got a 8-900#er.

Could get wider front tires.

/ How Much Ballast #9  
How about using rear forks for the IBC firewood carrier, or putting a second IBC of firewood on them? If you don't have a tilt cyinder, moving the tractor end of the top link to the lowest position will result in the most tilting of the forks when you raise them.

/ How Much Ballast
EricM, I like that idea! I picked up a set of rear forks at auction a couple of years ago, and have never used them! I'm going to try that and see how it works!