How many still have a Landline in their home?

/ How many still have a Landline in their home?
Cell here is abysmal.

150 yards up or down ok.

Fiber is in the area and has its issues.

Still kept a few POTS lines at the hospital and twice they saved the bacon…

Have them for a dedicated fax with cordless and the for two Language Line translation service and dedicated UL Fire System.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #92  
My cell service is too spotty. Stuck with landline. Have a rotary phone laying around somewhere. May have to plug it in for fun.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #93  
The deal may be no more.

I think I'll put that ^, on a T-shirt.... as it travels/covers so well..... :cool: ,but graphically, "may" is crossed-out, and written-over with "shall".

Fiber is the general answer, but no good if not in your 'hood. I'd expect it would be local to you ur - if so, guiding your elderly neighbours thru a fiber-box upgrade, w. a regular handset to pick up in the house would be a good direction for them..... many would likely have cable already.

I don't like cell phones, for a few reasons. POTS was designed as a simple, and highly reliable system - uptime on CO batteries for instance, was many days, W/O generator assistance required, and much of the field equipment was, literally, bulletproof. Rotary (I still operate one here) was/is telco line powered, so no need for a UPS or generator, just to run a handset.

5 year olds (and perhaps even younger) can operate cell phones today, but there are a lot of dependencies with that system. Rogers (former ATT ally up here) had a major extended outage not long ago - cell, and internet service wiped out. Talk about zombies, walking around bumping into walls, staring @ their phones.... Some of those people, would have had all, repeat ALL, of their payment ability locked into those phones - Why Carry Cash ?

I ditched my cell coming up on 2 years ago. There are times where my wife likes me to carry hers (ex. MC riding), and I don't push back on that, but generally don't want one.

I guess the only caution I'd venture for flipping elderly people over to VOIP, is make absolutely sure the address location is defined correctly with the "carrier". Landline and cell (when working) have 911 locating baked-in, but it's not a given with VOIP. A fatality was in the news a few years back, family moved to Calgary from Toronto, didn't update their address on their VOIP service. Kid died, as the ambulance was dispatched to the old Toronto address.

Partly hobby interest, partly not.... I've been getting more active in (ham) radio, this last year.

Rgds, D.

Cable not universal with the oldsters…

Can’t count the number of times I’d come home to a message from a neighbor saying the TV doesn’t work again… often as simple as the wrong source had been selected…

A lot to be said for reliably simple.

My smart goto cell setup nephew was in his teens and asked me to show him how grandmas rotary dial phone worked… he had never seen one and was amazed it didn’t need batteries and not affected by power outages.

I can see it now telling his grandkids when he was a kid his grandma had a phone that worked over wires.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #95  
Still kept a few POTS lines at the hospital and twice they saved the bacon…

Many people refuse to consider contingencies - even ones that (should) know better.

This thread has me thinking wayyyy back - first company I worked at, coming out of college. It was considered a hot-startup at the time, party because the whole economy was a wreck. Upgrading office phones, we are all sitting in a presentation by the phone supplier, presently this latest/greatest phone system. Being me, I stuck up my hand "What happens when the Power Goes Out" - A: Phones don't work. People are used to this now, but that was less well-known then...

Sales rep then says (holding up a set with a battery symbol on it) "But we have these, that will run on battery". I look at el presidente, and ask "How many are we ordering ?". His answer "Zero". I then said "OK, but it will be somebody-else, driving miles away to make calls out of here".

My youthful impertinence notwithstanding, it was a totally idiotic scenario. El presidente was an engineer (OK, an ME, but this was hardly nanoscale lithography at play), but refused to consider contingencies. This was before cells were even starting to ramp, so just reporting a power-outage would have been a PITA, and if there ever had been a medical or other emergency at the site, there would have been no way to report it quickly.

For some elderly people, even if they have a cell phone, they rarely use it. My neighbour's landline went down, so I walked her through using the flip-phone her kids insisted she have. She'd had it for a quite a while, but just never used it........ Hard to believe, I know, for generations (including some elderly) who have their facebook up on their phone, 12-18 hours/day, but there are people (including ultra-wealthy, and tech-savvy) who don't want to carry a cell.

Pick yer poison, take yer chances..... if I get back to commercial messaging, it will probably be Inreach - probably doesn't make sense cost-wise for an elderly budget, and "kids" have no use for it, as you can't stream on it..... in other words, perfect for me :cool: .

Elon should be out with something soon (another new month is coming), so there will probably be even better/cheaper Sat options shortly.....

OTOH, I should get on with ordering the 2'nd book, that follows One Second After, and get on with stocking up on ham tube gear :rolleyes::):)

Rgds, D.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #96  
yes. We've had towers in the rural area go down for a week or two at a time. It's foolish not to have one.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #97  
OTOH, I should get on with ordering the 2'nd book, that follows One Second After, and get on with stocking up on ham tube gear :rolleyes::):)

Rgds, D.
And get the PDF free download of, Lights Out. ;) An easy to read, packed full of 'what ifs' and possible outcomes.

Decades ago Austria went free satellite for TV.

It made sense because the villages were between mountains and antenna TV at its best might deliver 2 channels if any.

I remember watching free CNN in English showing footage in Oakland from my Alpine location.

Now 99% of Austria is fiber too.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #99  
My smart goto cell setup nephew was in his teens and asked me to show him how grandmas rotary dial phone worked… he had never seen one and was amazed it didn’t need batteries and not affected by power outages.

I can see it now telling his grandkids when he was a kid his grandma had a phone that worked over wires.
It's not just oldsters like me that appreciate Simple/High-Rel designs....

Some of the appeal is It's Different (retro), but there are things that get left out of modern platforms. I was driving along the other day, listening to a Canadian jazz station, discussing with an artist the factors in their latest release being on vinyl.....

There are vids out, concerning using milsurp field phones to set up geo-local phone networks. With your enclave of adjacent Seasoned-Citizens (You could bury/wire field-phones in your sleep), you could have those phones up in no time. If the big one drops, and you and the Seasoned ones are underground, all you, and those phones (and Keith Richards) would survive. You basically would have built a tiny POTS.....

Rgds, D.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #100  
And get the PDF free download of, Lights Out. ;) An easy to read, packed full of 'what ifs' and possible outcomes.
Thnx, I'll check that out !

Rgds, D.