how many GPM is needed

/ how many GPM is needed #61  
Smokeydog,

Please see attached Kubota's M59 spec sheet stating hydraulic pump capacity is 26.7 gal/ minute.

Attachments

• m59_spec.pdf
    738.5 KB · Views: 62
   / how many GPM is needed #62  
Smokeydog,

Please see attached Kubota's M59 spec sheet stating hydraulic pump capacity is 26.7 gal/ minute.

Yep. It's a perfect example of what I said back on page 3.

"Good luck for anyone trying to compare apples to apples by using advertising data. The people mixing numbers to make those advertising data sheets are masters at making their product look the best - whether it is or not. "

Purely true, and also completely misleading BS information. Implement flow is 16.2 GPM on the M59 and even though it is not to be used continuously, it is still large enough to be something they could brag about. But instead they tried to pull a fast one on eveyone by adding together all the hydraulic flows in the tractor whether accessible or not.

The Canadian spec sheet broke it out properly and so does Kubota's own shop manual.

Typical advertising BS from the industry.

rScotty Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 2.34.33 PM.png

Last edited:
   / how many GPM is needed #63  
Yep. It's a perfect example of what I said back on page 3.

"Good luck for anyone trying to compare apples to apples by using advertising data. The people mixing numbers to make those advertising data sheets are masters at making their product look the best - whether it is or not. "

Purely true, and also completely misleading BS information. Implement flow is 16.2 GPM on the M59 and even though it is not to be used continuously, it is still large enough to be something they could brag about. But instead they tried to pull a fast one on eveyone by adding together all the hydraulic flows in the tractor whether accessible or not.

The Canadian spec sheet broke it out properly and so does Kubota's own shop manual.

Typical advertising BS from the industry.

rScottyView attachment 758668
rScotty,

Thanks for clarification using workshop manual. I should have looked in my workshop manual before responding to Smokeydog. Mine was knee jerk reaction.

/ how many GPM is needed #64  
rScotty,

Thanks for clarification using workshop manual. I should have looked in my workshop manual before responding to Smokeydog. Mine was knee jerk reaction.

Welcome for sure. I don't like pushing the negativity button, but the whole idea that a person can compare tractors - the subject of this thread - is fun to debate here on TBN between owners like you and I who know better. But for a newbie actually believing in being able to judge tractors by comparing tractor advertisments is kinda crazy and scary.

Somehow us old timers have been part of creating a whole generation of new buyers who think that they can trust advertisements. I'm as guilty as anyone; I want to believe them too.

I know for certain that my generation grew up knowing that advertisements were not really to be believed, and somehow we didn't pass that along. What happened?

Last edited:
   / how many GPM is needed
Decide what you need to run, find out the GPM and PSI required. You will likely only use one at a time.
The 'rule of my thumb' is go big so you can easlily operate a Splitter, mower etc.

Gordie if you can mow and split wood at the same time you are far more talented than me. :p
Great discussion. I hope I made the right decision. I bought a low hours MX5200 locally. Nice to be able to see the machine and talk with the owner before shaking on it.
Like any used purchase I got some of the features I wanted, not all. But it should do all I need. The hydraulic question ended up like this:

Pump flow9.5 gpm (36 lpm)
Steering flow4.9 gpm (18.5 lpm)
Total flow14.4 gpm (54.5 lpm)

/ how many GPM is needed #66  
It really is the sweet spot. My two small FEL tractors with 2 and 2.5" cylinders are a little slow for me on their ~6gpm pumps. 9.5 would be great, because I could rattle the bucket around if i wanted to at high rpm, but most of the rest of the time I'd just be at a lower engine rpm to have the loader moving at a 'pleasant' speed, but not so low that I couldn't travel well at that rpm. So yeah, 8-10 sure sounds like the sweet spot for doing the most common task (loader) well without having to zing the engine all the way up and listen to it nonstop..

/ how many GPM is needed #67  
Gordie if you can mow and split wood at the same time you are far more talented than me. :p
Great discussion. I hope I made the right decision. I bought a low hours MX5200 locally. Nice to be able to see the machine and talk with the owner before shaking on it.
Like any used purchase I got some of the features I wanted, not all. But it should do all I need. The hydraulic question ended up like this:

Pump flow9.5 gpm (36 lpm)
Steering flow4.9 gpm (18.5 lpm)
Total flow14.4 gpm (54.5 lpm)
I don't believe you. .....

.....the old saying "no pictures, it didn't happen" :ROFLMAO:

Anyway.....very nice machine. I have an older version of the same machine, the mx5100.

I don't have a high demand for hydraulic "speed".....but the loader and grapple up front, and the blade with hydraulic angle and tilt, a transport disc raising and lowering wheels, a dump trailer hooked to the remotes, and my toplink out back.......I have never thought the speed to be inadequate. The loader is actually quite quick and a really good match for the machine