Ballast How many bags of cement to fill ballast box?

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #1  

93Mustang

Silver Member
Tractor
JD ##@)
I have been searching all over the place on the forum for an answer to this. I have a jd ballast box with extension and wonder how many bags of portland cement people have got it to hold? I got in five 94 pound bags in the box portion and wonder if I am doing something wrong? I was expecting a couple more would fit in the box section. I may be able to get two more bags in the extension part. This would lead me in theory a bit short on weight to what i expected. Does the cement weigh considerably more when mixed with water? Thank you for any experience with this.

Dana

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #2  
Sounds like you've already done the deed.

How big is the ballast box, dimensions?

For my B3030, the ballast box is 15x15x30 inches. I wanted to at least compensate for the snowblower once spring came along, with the option to add weight as needed.

I went around to 3 tire shops and scammed the used wheel weights removed from wheels. The lead is more dense then concrete, so I figured adding the wheels weights to the 'mix' would provide more weight in less volume.

I planned to fill the ballast box with weights and concrete, then reminded myself to check the maximum load for the lower links on the 3pth. Turns out the maximum is 800 lbs. I'd actually planned to put in weights/concrete that would have exceeded that. As a result, I re-thought my plan. As the saying goes, if you haven't got a plan - you can't screw it up.

Anyway, I welded a received hitch to the bottom of the box, added one 60lb bag of redi-mix, distributed the wheel weights, and then topped up the whole affair with more concrete. The box and receiver hitch alone weighed in at 80lbs. Add the concrete and wheel weights - it topped out at 550 lbs which I think is appropriate for my needs, PLUS there's room to add steel (weights) as needed, rather then topping up with concrete. (I actually weighed the wheel weights in 3 - 5 gallon buckets on the scales that I avoid in the bathroom).

As usual I've elaborated at length, but then again, that's my thing...:D

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #3  
I got about 4 1/2 bags of cement in my JD box. Left about an inch at top to carry two chains. I once heard someone say cured cement also retains the weight of the water added. I have no idea if that is true but the tractor feels stable and well balanced even with heavy front end loads.

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #4  
I am hoping you guys added concrete and not portland cement...

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box?
I used Portland cement. Does that pact the number of bags/weight i can get in the box? Why is that an issue? I have no experience with concrete/cement so i have no idea why this might be a problem?

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #6  
If you are leaving it in the bag, it doesn't make much difference, but if you are mixing it and pouring it in, concrete is both stronger and less expensive.

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #7  
80 pound bag of Quikcrete is about .6 cubic feet..... Better to get an extra bag or two than be 1/2 bag short.... [ been there, done that ] This is not to be confused with being one fry short of a happy meal.......... :)

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box?
I dont know the size of the box with extension.I was estimating I would need 9 or ten bags based on the expected weight but don't think I will be near that amount.

/ How many bags of cement to fill ballast box? #10  
I just filled my new JD ballast box (no extension) this weekend....6 80lb bags quikcrete, 1 40 lb bag quikcrete.....

Oh......and don't buy the 1200 lb dolly from Northern tool to store it on......:laughing:
DSC_0211.jpg