How many acres do you own?

/ How many acres do you own?
46 contiguous to the farm, 53 additional up in Northern Michigan (hunting and recreational ground) and an additional 65 rented on shares west of the farm. Our local ground is all in PA116 so the property taxes on it are minimal. All in alfalfa hay except the up north ground which is mostly old growth hardwood and conifers and just for hunting and warm weather camping in the RV.

The Lord ain't making anymore last time I checked.
Sounds like a nice getaway area.

/ How many acres do you own? #83  
Do you guys have a vacant parcel tax imposed if the land or land with building is vacant... it can be an additional 6k per parcel... don't see how legal but it's been around awhile.

It's hitting folks with vacation places as they have to prove 50 day occupancy in a year and also hitting those that have lots with future building plans.

Once plans submitted or property is listed on MLS for sale the tax may not be due...

/ How many acres do you own? #84  
Do you guys have a vacant parcel tax imposed if the land or land with building is vacant... it can be an additional 6k per parcel... don't see how legal but it's been around awhile.

It's hitting folks with vacation places as they have to prove 50 day occupancy in a year and also hitting those that have lots with future building plans.

Once plans submitted or property is listed on MLS for sale the tax may not be due...
I know our 20 acres property tax is around $500/year. There are no improvements on it. I can put a barn on it, and the taxes won't go up hardly at all. If I put electricity in that barn, or plumbing, or both, then it is improved, and taxes will go up. It's zoned AG right now.

I could put it into classified forest or classified wildlife habitat and the taxes would go down to about $1 per acre. However, if I ever built on that, I'd have to take, say, 1 acre out of the program and pay back taxes on that one acre.

/ How many acres do you own? #85  
342 acres, 100 in pasture, rest wooded.

/ How many acres do you own? #86  

No. Out here my 10 acres is tax exempt ag on 9 of it. 1 acres is for horses. So i pay property tax on the 1 acre, which does not amount to much as its undeveloped.

My 20 acres is tas exempt 18 acres for trees. 2 acres taxed with house, barn, shop etc.

/ How many acres do you own? #87  
Grew up on a small farm in NW Ohio, Prime ag soils, but not enough acreage to make any sort of living on, so my parents rented the farm fields out to a neighboring farmer. Most of my neighbors were farmers (and none of them seemed to mind talking about how much land they farmed.)

Moved to Vermont about 23 years ago, bought 8 acres of mostly forested land and built our house on it. About 4 years ago and absentee neighbor who owned an undeveloped, wooded parcel adjacent to me asked if I new anyone who might be interested in buying their land or if I could recommend a good real estate agent. I ended up buying that property as well, so I'm up to 144 acres. Mostly wooded, with a couple of acres cleared for the house and outbuildings, and a few acres of meadow. We have a petty good trail system which connects to neighbors trails - makes for a great neighborhood recreation resource.

/ How many acres do you own? #88  
446 owned acres, little over 1000 leased acres.

/ How many acres do you own? #90  
Our place is adjacent to a 6 mile long Corp of Engineers lake and surrounding multi-use area for fishing, camping, hiking trails, woods and fields open for public recreation in Northern PA.

Our 35 acres is a mix of 20 acres of woods and old pasture returning to woods. The balance of 15 acres is an investment of 600 hours of my life (according to the tractor!) to hack, timber, clear and restore to workable level fields along with the last 2 years of my life building our home.

And I don't mind anyone knowing it's value...

It's the realization of 50 years of shared dreams, commitment to action and hard work.

This is the end of the trail.

It is home and it's where I plan to die...(but maybe not just yet!)

It's priceless...

20220319_075740.jpg

Last edited: